Question about Wire Clamps in Box

Old 11-06-15, 01:58 PM
Question about Wire Clamps in Box

I recently purchased a 2-gang Madison box. It has internal wire clamps, but I didn't realize that each clamp has a specific gauge listed. At the top and bottom, there are two for 12 AWG, two for 10 AWG, and two for 14 AWG. I have three 12 AWG wires that need to enter at the top. Can I use the 10 AWG clamp for 12 AWG, or is that a code violation? When I've used the Carlon boxes, I recall being able to use 12 AWG in any of the clamps.

The reason I wanted to use this box was that I like that it screws to the stud. I saw one by Arlington, so I could try that box if necessary.

Here is a link to the box:
http://www.amazon.com/Madison-Electr...KFEZ64E3WQV2QC

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-15, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
That is considered an old work box. You'd use it if you pulled out a single box and needed to install a two gang box in its place or when you cut a hole right next to the stud... anywhere where you didn't want to mess with the rock.

Is your wall open.... new contruction or are you cutting that box into the sheetrock ?

Old 11-06-15, 04:04 PM
I am using this to replace an existing 1-gang box. My question has to do with the clamps. On the Carlon boxes, there is no wire gauge label. The Madison box has 6 clamps at the top: 2 marked for 12 AWG, 2 for 14 AWG, and 2 for the 10 AWG. I have three 12 AWG cables that enter from the top. Am I allowed to use one of the clamps marked for 10 AWG for one of the 12 AWG cables? Is that a code violation?

Old 11-06-15, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
I went all thru Madison Electrics specs and descriptions of the box. Although they did specify box fill based on #14, #12 and #10..... they did not specify that only one certain size cable could could fit in a particular clamp.

In looking at exploded views of the boxes..... the clamps all look to be the same size. I do not see any issue in putting three #12 cables into the three top clamps.

Old 11-06-15, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never used that box, but have never seen a clamp like that restricted to certain size cable either.

Old 11-07-15, 06:33 AM
Thanks for taking the time to research my question. This is a picture of the box, just so you can see what I mean. I may go and buy one of the Arlington boxes instead, since they just use those black button push-in connectors. This is an off-topic question, but can residential customers buy materials from electrical supply stores? Home Depot and Lowes don't carry the Arlington boxes, but they have it a local store near me called City Electric Supply. I wasn't sure if you have to be a contractor to buy there.

Name:  IMG_0958.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  34.3 KB

Old 11-07-15, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for sharing the pic.

Some supply houses will sell retail. Others don't want the hassle of guiding homeowners to pick their materials.