Wire Nut for 4+ 12 AWG Wires

Old 11-07-15, 12:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire Nut for 4+ 12 AWG Wires

Can anyone recommend a good wire nut for connecting 4+ 12 AWG wires? I have a 2-gang box, where I will have a minimum of 4 wires in each splice. The neutrals and hots will have to accommodate 4 12 AWG and 2 16 AWG wires (the 16 AWG are stranded wires from the Insteon light switches). I have trouble with these larger 12 AWG pigtails, and I believe that the red Ideal wire nuts are too small. Would it make sense to get one of those drill bits to tighten the wire nuts more securely?

I saw these from 3M, and I thought they may work well:
3M R/Y+ Performance Plus Wire Connector, Red with Yellow Skirt, 100 Per Box - Electrical Wires - Amazon.com

I was thinking about using the Wago or Ideal push-in connectors, but I know a lot of people don't trust them. I also saw lever nuts, but they don't have one for 6 connections: Wago 222-415 LEVER-NUTS 5 Conductor Compact Connectors 40 PK: Electrical Wires: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 11-07-15, 01:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Nothing unusual, any standard wire nut of the correct size should work. A red wire nut from most major manufacturers should work. I think your over thinking this a bit.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 27992
Size:  26.8 KB

The you linked are fine but a smaller quanity from the local hardware store would be fine.

Old 11-07-15, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The allowed combinations of wires should be listed on the package. IIRC the R/Y 3M will accept up to 5 #12's.

The push-ins and Wagos use a different style of connection than backstabs and are quite reliable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: