Electrical - 4 way switch problem

Old 11-11-15, 01:36 PM
Electrical - 4 way switch problem

My brother in law (a princeton grad) unhooked my 4 way and 3 way switches without marking what goes to what. The switches worked prior to this. I have tried to rewire but I am now stuck.

My current situation is:

1. When I turn on 3 way system in my mudroom it works properly.
2. My kitchen 4 way system does not work - light stays on no matter what positions my 3 switches are positioned.
3. Both 3 and 4 way system's power comes thru the kitchen's light box.

How wiring is hooked up now:

1. From circuit breaker to junction box.
2. In j box connected 12/2 line to 12/3. Line (white to white. - black to red and black).
3. Line feeds to box on kitchen ceiling which feeds power to a 3 way system for my mudroom and to a 4 way system that controls my kitchen light.
4. Also in j box are two 12/3 lines - one from 3 way switch controlling kitchen light and one to 4 way switch. Wiring on. 3 way was not changed.
5. At 4 way two black wires are connected together. Red and white wires are connected to new 4 way switch as per instructions.
6. At second 3 way switch wires were not changed.
7. At light box.
A. Black connected to black wire.
B. Red hooked to black wire from light fixture.
C. White hooked to white on light fixture. (white is also hooked to a black wire and if not hooked up there is no neutral on the mudrooms 3 way switch).
D. It appears that the 3 and 4 way systems are supplied thru the box in my kitchen.
E. No changes were made in 3 way switches on 4 way system.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-15, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

E. No changes were made in 3 way switches on 4 way system.
You completely lost me there.
You said all the switches were removed from the wiring.... were they or not ??

For me to help you I need to know the following.

The power comes into one three way switch. That makes perfect sense. Then you have a three wire cable leaving that box and going to the light. Then you have a second three wire cable going from the light to the four way switch. Then an other cable from the four way switch to the last three way switch. Is that correct ?

Name:  custom_4_W.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  12.6 KB

Old 11-11-15, 07:02 PM
My brother in law only disconnect wires to 4 way switch and the power going to the 3 way system and 4 way system at a junction box. I hooked the inpower to wires goong to light. Should I have hooked power separately to a 3 way switch system from k box?

Old 11-11-15, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... the power(black) connects to the common at the first three way switch. The incoming white/neutral connects to the white of the three wire and the red and black wires from that three wire cable should go to the switch as travelers.

Old 11-12-15, 09:40 AM
Still not working. I am doing this on a cell phone so I willl try to describe a little more. Some additional info. House was built in 1940. On one circuit is one three way system controling the porch light and a four way controlling the kitchen light. The porch and kitchen switches are side by side. Three is a 12/3 cable going from jbox to the porch 3 way box. I only hooked the black and white on the 12/3 cable to the power. Porch switch now works. I capped off the red wire in the j box. Is it possible that the red wire is the power supply for the kitchen 4way light system?

Old 11-12-15, 10:55 AM
Maybe these will help:

Name:  4-way light circuit.png
Views: 1260
Size:  21.7 KB

Attached Images