Relocating a Generator Breaker Because of HEAT

Old 11-15-15, 05:10 PM
Relocating a Generator Breaker Because of HEAT

I am having trouble with a breaker tripping due to what I believe to be an ambient heat issue.

I have a Generac 17,500 watt generator mounted in a trailer to power a Graco E-20 Reactor and various other equipment. The room that the generator is located has a power ventilator and two other vents - I also keep the man door open all the time. The Reactor is connected to the generator via 240v single phase plug mounted in the generator panel. The plug is supplied by a 50 amp 400v 2-pole IEC breaker.

On a hot day with the sun shining in on the panel, the 50a breaker will trip. The breaker and the entire panel will be hot to the touch and take forever to cool down enough to reset the breaker. I think a lot of the heat present is coming from the voltage regulator mounted at the back of the panel.

Ultimately, my question is this: Is there any reason (other than obvious warranty issues) why it would be a bad idea to reroute the power to a separate breaker panel mounted to the side of the main panel with a 50 amp breaker to help avoid the ambient heat issue? If I do this, does it matter what "type" of breaker I use as long as I stick with a 2-pole 50 amp unit? I am in favor of a NEMA type breaker or possibly even a home style unit.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-15, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
What is the load you are putting on the generator ?

One Graco E-20 I'm looking at is 48A at 240v. That is pretty close to the max on a 50A breaker.

Old 11-15-15, 05:43 PM
It runs at about 32a. I have had a meter on it several times recording MAX current readings. I am quite sure the reactor is not actually overloading the circuit.

Old 11-15-15, 05:57 PM
Circuit breakers are SUPPOSED to be compensated for ambient temperatures but IEC equipment (CBs, contactors and control relays) are ALWAYS much smaller in physical size than similar rated NEMA equipment. I suspect that a NEMA-rated circuit breaker, especially in an enclosure not subjected to the heat from the generator and engine, would likely be a better design.

Old 11-15-15, 07:49 PM
The OEM breaker is: Generac 6000 C50 DZ47 400v IEC60898

I am just curious, would a home type breaker provide "different" protection than a IEC or NEMA breaker?