2 GFCIs in sequence??

Old 11-16-15, 09:30 AM
2 GFCIs in sequence??

I was at a buddy's house, and he showed me his work on a "minor bathroom reno" (his words-a new double sink, larger vanity-and a new receptacle.)
I noticed that he had added the receptacle by connecting to the "load" wires in an existing GFCI receptacle. The new receptacle was also a GFCI.
My questions:

1) If I were doing the reno, I would have added a "regular" receptacle, because it would be protected by the GFCI to which it was connected. Is my thinking correct?

2) Would his setup be considered "to code"?(He mentioned that the electrical/plumbing inspection is scheduled for later this week, and if this is a problem, I'd like to give him a "heads up".)

3)Even if it is to code,would there be any potential problems with his set up?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-15, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can install two GFCI devices in sequence. Sometimes they will trip in odd ways, but it does not diminish the protection level.

Code requires that bathrooms have at least one 20A circuit, with at least one GFCI protected receptacle within 3' of the sink, and at least one switched light. Building code requires a fan or openable window if the bathroom has a shower. If the light and/or fan is installed directly above the shower it may require GFCI protection, depending on the fixture manufacturer instructions. The bathroom circuit can serve all loads in a single bathroom or only the receptacles in multiple bathrooms. Bathroom lights can be powered by other circuits.

Old 11-16-15, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only problem, if you forget that two are chained, is to have no power at the far one and forget that there is another GFCI in the line.
One on my front porch went out shortly after I moved in, and it took me a while to track the circuit to a second one which was in the garage at the back of the house. Now I have all house circuits mapped.
May be overkill but I don't think it's a violation.

Old 11-16-15, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just wire it from the line terminals of the other gfi. That way it is independent of the first one.

Old 11-17-15, 10:03 AM
Thanks to all. I'll relay your expertise to my friend.