Help installing GFCI/Switch

Old 11-18-15, 05:55 PM
Help installing GFCI/Switch

Hello, I'm trying to replace an outlet/switch that powers a fan and light in our bathroom. The switch worked fine it just wasn't a GFCI so I thought I should replace. The original was wired with a black and white wire connected to there appropriate terminals and a red wire connected to the second neutral terminal. My tester read that it was hooked up correctly. When I replaced with the GFCI I connected the black and white wires to the line terminals and the red wire to the neutral load side. It has power but the light and fan will not turn on....

The new GFCI outlet came with 2 wires running out the back of it. I believe they are for the switch but do not know how they should be connected.

-Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-15, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A red is not a neutral. Also neutrals are not switched.

The new part should have come with a wiring diagram. We're the light and fan switched separate before?

Old 11-18-15, 06:21 PM
No they were together on the same switch that has 1 outlet beneath it. There are only 3 wires connected to the old switch. 1 black, 1 white and 1 red. There's a mess of marrettes in the box. The red was connected to the 2nd silver screw on the original switch/outlet. The tester did read that the wiring was ok as it was however it does not work with the new GFCI outlet/switch

Old 11-18-15, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
The original was wired with a black and white wire connected to there appropriate terminals and a red wire connected to the second neutral terminal.
A red wire is never connected to a neutral. A switch/receptacle combo has only one neutral.
My tester read that it was hooked up correctly.
Unless that was a multimeter it hasn't been correctly tested.

Was the tab broken on the old combo switch? If it was then the switch was probably wire as a switch loop.

Old 11-18-15, 08:24 PM
So following another threads illustrations on this forum I got the fan/light working however my 3 LED tester is reading an OPEN GROUND. There is clearly 2 ground screws at the back of the box and a grounding wire attached to each of them. Do I need to remove one of the grounding wires from the back of the box and attach to outlet?

Old 11-18-15, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
You need to verify the house ground by measuring between the black of of the power in cable and the ground from the power in cable with a multimeter. It should read ~120 volts.
Do I need to remove one of the grounding wires from the back of the box and attach to outlet?
All grounds need to be connected together and pigtailed to both the box and the combo.