Connecting power monitoring units for generator

Old 11-21-15, 06:25 PM
Connecting power monitoring units for generator

I am posting here with the hope that someone can help with a problem I came across. I will try to be as brief as possible.

I recently installed a 30-amp interlock breaker in my breaker panel for my portable generator, which will run essentials if needed. I ran 8-3 NM/B wire from the generator feed to the interlock breaker.

I planned on using 2 Murata Power Solutions ACM20-2-AC1-R-C meters that will measure volts, amps, watts and Hz to monitor L1 and L2 from the generator. The meters use 2-18 awg leads to monitor the power (See attached diagram)

The issue I have is this, I would like to monitor L1 and L2 directly however since I cannot double tap the wire feeding the breaker I need a way to legally and safely tap into L1 and L2 with the 18-awg wire. I could pigtail one of the breakers for a branch circuit but would rather not since turning off that breaker will not allow me to monitor that particular leg of the main.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-15, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
I install similar monitors called E-mon D-mons. They are used for sub-metering.

The hardest part of installing these monitors is finding a home for the current donuts.
Yes.... you can connect your load and the monitor to the same breaker. The fuse that protects the monitoring device must be AT the breaker and inside the breaker panel.

Old 11-22-15, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
I could pigtail one of the breakers for a branch circuit but would rather not since turning off that breaker will not allow me to monitor that particular leg of the main.
Install a separate breaker just to power the meter. Just make sure it is the same leg as the one you want to monitor.

Old 11-22-15, 05:30 PM
Unfortunatly I do not have any available spaces to add any additional breakers

Old 11-23-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Then just remove a wire from an existing breaker and splice it to the meter meter wire and a pig tail, and connect the pig tail to the breaker.

Old 11-30-15, 03:58 PM
With respect to Tolyn Ironhand's suggestion to pigtail, the reason I didn't want to do that was due to the fact that I will be managing the loads especially when I have to energize the water heater and didn't want to run into a situation where I had to turn the breakers off that monitored the gen output in order to manage the water heater load.

What I finally wound up doing was replacing the double pole breaker for the AC with a quad 20 breaker. This would allow me to shut off the 20 amp AC breaker when it wasn't being used but still have dedicated breakers for L1 and L2 and eliminating the need to pigtail off another breaker.

I do want to thank all of your for your great suggestions they were appreciated.