Cable ties to secure electric cables??

Old 11-24-15, 02:25 PM
Cable ties to secure electric cables??

While at a friends house, I noticed he had electrical cables running along furring strips that were attached to the ceiling joists in his basement. While I don't think there is anything unusual about that, I noticed that he had secured the cables to the furring strips by using plastic cable ties.
While the cables seem secure, is such a set up to code?
As always, thanks for the information.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-15, 02:59 PM
Picture would be nice.
They should have been stapled.
So what are the furring strips for?

Old 11-24-15, 03:10 PM
I assume the furring strips are acting as running board to run the romex perpendicular to the joists without drilling through them? You are talking about romex right, not extension cords? While using cable ties for this is a little unusual, I don't think it's a problem as long as they are secure. Now if several runs of romex were tied tightly together, that would be incorrect.

Old 11-24-15, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The code doesn't specifically say what is an is not allowed when it comes to cable support and protection. It just uses phrases like "shall be supported" and "substantial framing member". Such matters are left up to the workmanship of the installer and a final ruling would be left up to the electrical inspector.

My opinion is that cable ties are not adequate support for premises wiring. I use ties all the time for low voltage and telecom wiring which has a much shorter useful lifespan, but rarely on line voltage which you should expect to be in service for 50+ years.

Old 11-24-15, 04:44 PM
My opinion is that cable ties are not adequate support for premises wiring. I use ties all the time for low voltage and telecom wiring which has a much shorter useful lifespan, but rarely on line voltage which you should expect to be in service for 50+ years.
This is why I hate tape. Which lasts significantly less than nylon tie wraps.

Old 11-25-15, 10:57 AM
To respond to a couple of questions:
Joe: can't get a picture, because my friend lives 100+ miles away from me, and I probably will be out there for a few more months.
Carbide tipped described the situation precisely: the furring strips are perpendicular to joists, and are used to carry the Romex cable.I'm guessing he did that to avoid drilling.

Just a few added facts: he's in the middle of a project to, in his words "make the basement look nicer". The basement has extremely high "ceilings". I guess it's close to 9 feet from the floor to the bottom of the first floor joists. He intends to put a suspended ceiling in the basement to bring the ceiling height down to 8 feet (I hope that's the correct name for those ceilings formed with a grid of metal frames or tracks and dropping 2' x 4' tiles).

Great replies gentleman, thank you all.

Old 11-25-15, 01:06 PM
He intends to put a suspended ceiling in the basement to bring the ceiling height down to 8 feet (I hope that's the correct name for those ceilings formed with a grid of metal frames or tracks and dropping 2' x 4' tiles).
If I am not mistaken, the NEC requires cables above a suspended ceiling in a dwelling to be run through holes bored in the framing members. I don't believe they can be run under the framing at all. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Old 11-25-15, 01:51 PM
If I am not mistaken, the NEC requires cables above a suspended ceiling in a dwelling to be run through holes bored in the framing members.
If this is true it is a fairly recent requirement. I DO know that the grid suspension wires may NOT be used to support any wiring.

Old 11-25-15, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I am not mistaken, the NEC requires cables above a suspended ceiling in a dwelling to be run through holes bored in the framing members. I don't believe they can be run under the framing at all. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
There is no distinction about a drop ceiling AFAIK. It is either through bored holes on on running boards. Stapled to the bottom of the framing is only allowed in the larger sizes.