No power in outside structure

Old 11-28-15, 11:43 AM
No power in outside structure

On my property there is a separate structure. It's electricity is fed via an underground line from the house. Today I discovered that it has no power anymore. The two lights and one outlet don't work. Everything worked a couple weeks ago. Nothing really happened in the meantime, just the usual winter wind, cold, and snow. I checked the breaker in the house and nothing is tripped.

I am an ignoramus when it comes to anything other than basic electrical stuff, so I'd appreciate any brainstorming here before I call an electrician to the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-15, 12:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Look for a junction box close to where the cable leaves the house. See if there is juice there.

Old 11-28-15, 12:12 PM
You might also try flipping the breaker off and back on again. I've read on here sometimes breakers trip, but don't fully flip over to the off side.

Old 11-28-15, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
As bill said first step is moving the breaker all the way off. Then you will need a multimeter (or neon tester or solenoid tester) but not a non contact tester to do some basic tests.

Old 11-30-15, 07:45 PM
I've read on here sometimes breakers trip, but don't fully flip over to the off side.
Breakers don't trip to the "OFF" position, but usually to a center position and the handle is left loose. Sometimes the handle stays in the "ON" position, but is loose after a trip.