240v toggles for multiple machine connection

Old 11-28-15, 03:20 PM
240v toggles for multiple machine connection

Hi,

I'm a new member , thanks for having me.

I'm newly retired and have the time now to finally make my barn into a legitimate Woodshop. All of my machines are 220 volt and I might use up to 3 at one time on rare occassions (shaper, power feeder ,dust collector) . Other machines are tablesaw, jointer, planer, and a bandsaw to come. Years ago, I roughed in 3 circuits (30 amp) and I just unplug and plug as needed. Its a little bothersome as the receptacles are ceiling mounted. I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a toggle/lever that I can wire in so that I can use one machine only on a circuit and flip a lever to use another, ensuring that only one be used at a time. Its only me in the shop and I don't have a lot of room in my box so I'd like to save space. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-15, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I do the same thing, but have individual receptacles for each machine. Each machine has its own on-off switch, and I can't physically use more than one at a time, so I haven't a problem. Now, if two are to be used at a time, such as a saw and vacuum, I would make sure the vacuum is on a separate circuit from the biggies. At 30 amps, you are probably over protected anyway, since your amperage use is cut in half with the doubling (from 120v) of the voltage.

Old 11-28-15, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You could wire switches in but that sounds like a bit of work. Can't you just plug all the machines in and use one at a time ? If it's only you..... you should be able to remember that.

Old 11-28-15, 04:43 PM
Thanks,

If I understand, you piggyback 2 receptacles on one circuit and rely on your good senses to run just one machine at a time? I can do that, but I'm always worried about a code guy telling me that I shouldn't. To PJ, I like to work in rhythm and standing on a stool to pull twist type plugs and replugging is bothersome, I'd rather flick a switch or lever on the wall but don't know how to configure one. I am learning that time in retirement is a different concept and maybe I should just slow down. I'm insulating and sheetrocking so I'd just as soon make it easy this time around.

Thanks again for your welcome.

Old 11-28-15, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
rely on your good senses to run just one machine at a time?
I rely more on the law of physics. I can't physically use a radial arm saw, table saw, planer or joiner at the same time. Only have two hands and can only be standing in one place at a time. No "code" guy will give you grief. He is only concerned with the wiring to the receptacles. Beyond that, it is common sense.

Old 11-28-15, 06:16 PM
You can install a separate breaker for each machine and run 4 cables to 4 receptacles.

Another possible method is to use a double pole double throw transfer switch.

Old 11-30-15, 07:03 PM
You can install a separate breaker for each machine and run 4 cables to 4 receptacles.
That would be a good solution IF the OP had the room in the panel for 4 circuit breakers, but he doesn't.