Single phase 220-240 in Canada


Old 11-30-15, 04:51 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Single phase 220-240 in Canada

I'm buying equipment from UK which us single phase 220-240 and am wondering if it will work in Canada, is there an adapter I cam buy?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-15, 07:33 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,986
I doubt that there is an adapter. It's the wiring that would have to be adjusted. What does the manufacturer, of the equipment say? Contact them.
Old 11-30-15, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,506
The voltage will work; in Canada you would use a double pole breaker in a standard residential electrical service panel to get a 240V circuit. However you need to verify the frequency is compatible from the equipment manufacturer. UK power runs at 50Hz and US/Canada runs at 60Hz. If the device is a motor, it will run 20% faster on Canadian power, which could be a safety hazard or performance problem depending on the application. If it is electronics, it would need to have been designed for use in both regions (most modern electronics are). If it is a resistive load like a standard light bulb, the frequency doesn't matter.

If it can't run on native power, there are converters, but the type and cost depends entirely on what type of device this is.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes