Are my 2 breakers enough to carry the load?

Old 11-30-15, 12:29 PM
Are my 2 breakers enough to carry the load?

Hi,

We have an unfinished laundry room downstairs which we are also using a food area for our downstairs home daycare. Before starting the business, we wire 3 receptacles to 2 x 15amp breakers (so one 15 amp breaker powers one electrical outlet and the other 15 amp breaker powers 2 outlets).

I need the following plugged in to operate the daycare space:
- Fridge: Westinghouse WWTR180 (can't find info on amps use.. bought in 2013)
- Freezer: Frigidaire FFFU17M1QW (amps @120v: 5)
- Small convection oven: Toastmaster 1320W
- 4 slice toaster
- Microwave: GE jes1142bpc (1100W)

Obviously the fridge and freezer need to run continuously. It might happen that we need the microwave and the convection oven to run at the same time closer to lunch time (10 minutes maximum)

Is there a way that my 2 breakers can support this? Or do I need to run wire and add a new breaker to my panel? My gut tells me I need an independent breaker for my convection oven.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-15, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you in Canada? This wiring configuration sounds more typical of CA.

Each leg of the 15A multi-wire circuit can supply up to 1850W simultaneously. That means if you want to run the microwave, toaster and convection oven at the same time, you will need another circuit. The fridge and freezer are probably about 500W each given they are modern appliances. If you put a fridge and a microwave on one leg and a freezer and the oven on the other leg, you'll be right around the circuit max. Most breakers would be ok with a small (~10%) overload for a few minutes without tripping; so you would probably be ok as-is for the intended use, but you are right on the edge of sufficient. For extended use, the electrical code recommends load does not exceed 80% of the circuit capacity; however your less than 1 hour per day use does not exceed that limit.

Old 11-30-15, 12:50 PM
Yes I'm in Canada. Thanks for the reply. I felt like it was borderline sufficient.

Old 11-30-15, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you use 20 amp circuits ?

A refrigerator or freezer rarely run, but it does depend on how often they are opened.