What to do with what lurks behind doorbell chime box

Old 11-30-15, 12:53 PM
What to do with what lurks behind doorbell chime box

After seeing that our doorbell chime box was no long working (hammers damaged, pressing doorbell created buzzing noise in box with no movement, power routed through transformer) I bought a replacement.

The first thing that was odd was that there were three other pairs of wires pulled into the box beyond the front/transformer wires which was all I was expecting. These pairs were capped off. I had to uncap to get the bundle of wires to pass through the rather small hole in the plastic backing of the chime box.

Chime box removed, I then see this: larger bundle of wires trimmed and unmatched/capped.

I thought this would be an easy fix. They are neatly trimmed but just hanging out there and I have no idea what they are for. First thought was to use liquid electrical "tape" to make sure the cut ends were protected, then install as normal but I figured it best to jump on here and get some advice.

Thoughts appreciated.
Name:  wires.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  27.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-15, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
I'd suggest small wire nuts.

Old 11-30-15, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I should mention that entire hole in the picture is not even 1" wide, and there's no slack in the wire bundle to pull it out further. So I can't really strip and nut each one, and the nuts I found at the hardware store are too big to nut each of these very thin wires individually. Not to mention there's nowhere to put a bundle of nuts (there are about 8 or so cut wires).

Old 11-30-15, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
The wires that are cut short are unused. I wouldn't worry about them.
I'm more worried with the plethora of wires that you have left.

Did you write down which wire went where ?

Old 11-30-15, 04:09 PM
Pete--interesting about them being unused. Huh. There are hallway recessed lights where the chimebox is, so that'd be my guess what the paired twisted others are for, but why they capped and passed them through the chimebox is beyond me.

The ones that were left, yeah I left the twisted pairs twisted so I could get them out of the chime box (caps off) and the front/transformer wires labeled and separated. I re-capped the twisted pairs for now.

Old 11-30-15, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like when it came to wiring the doorbell system.... the electricians just used what they had..... a roll of multi conductor thermostat cable. Probably stole it from the HVAC guys. (not that I'd know anything about that).

That wiring will have nothing to do with the recessed lights.

Old 11-30-15, 04:33 PM
LOL. Thanks PJmax. Nice to have some context on what I'm looking at. I was certainly surprised to see all that mess for something so simple.