Electrical wall switch

Old 11-30-15, 03:32 PM
Electrical wall switch

Hi new to this forum I hope someone can help. I'm looking to replace my wall switch's with a motion sensorLutron Maestro Single Pole Occupancy Motion Sensing Switch - White (2-Pack)-MS-OPS2H-2-WH - The Home Depot and digital timer. My current switch's do not have ground wires. Other switch's do not have ground but have neutral wire. Should all switch have a ground and neutral wire? Based on the instructions posted on the link about they require a ground and neutral wire.

Attached Images   

Last edited by PJmax; 11-30-15 at 05:02 PM. Reason: removed link to water heater timers
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-15, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having conduit indicates that most likely the grounding function is carried via the conduit itself, thereby eliminating the need for a separate conductor. Now, are you planning on changing ALL your switches with motion detecting devices?? Are any of them in a three way set up? If so you will need to use three way switching. You mention a water heater timer in the same breath, so it gets me to wondering if you are trying to combine switches with timers. What is the intention? On most timers and motion detecting switches you will need a neutral, and often there is no neutral in switch boxes.

Old 11-30-15, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure what the link to water heater timers had to do with this thread but it didn't fit here.

Old 11-30-15, 07:09 PM
The water heater link was for instruction purpose only. I'm sorry for the confusion. One timer will replace the switch for the front porch lights which is a single pole with neutral wire but not connected to the switch. The other timer for the from room of the house is a 3 way setup also has a neutral wire but not connected. Based on your comment how do I ground wire from the new timer switch. Motion sensor one it the garage and another in the hallway. I presume since I don't have neutrals in the garage and hallway I can't use these sensors. Appreciate everyone's help

Old 11-30-15, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
I'm sorry sparkboy. I cannot follow what you are trying to do.

You want to put a timer in for the front porch lights. You have a neutral there so any timer should work. You never left a link to a specific timer. If you want my opinion.... this is the timer to put in.

Defiant 49814 timer from Home Depot. This timer needs a neutral connection. It doesn't use batteries. It has daylight savings and auto time change to match the seasons based on time zone. It has a switching relay so it can control ANY load under 20A. For $25.... a choice.
Defiant 20-Amp 7-Day 7-Event In-Wall Digital Timer-49814 - The Home Depot

If the box is metal and there is no ground wire to attach to.... leave the ground wire in the box with a wirenut. The mounting screws will ground the device.

The second part of your question is about motion switches in a three way application ?

Old 12-01-15, 06:55 AM
PJmax it's my first time replacing electrical switches so It's hard to explain what I'm trying to accomplish. Here's the timer I need to install. GE 3-Way Sunsmart In-Wall Digital Timer-15312 - The Home Depot

The motion sensor I'm installing is this Lutron Maestro 2 Amp Single-Pole Occupancy Sensing Switch - White-MS-OPS2H-WH - The Home Depot
The current switch has 2 place I can turn off and on the lights. I believe this called a 3 way from what i gathered online. I would like replace one of the toggle switch with a motion sensor if possible.

Thank you for your patience

Old 12-01-15, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... the GE timer. Almost identical to the one I mentioned.

You have two switches shown in your pictures. Neither one appears to be a three way switch but the top one with looped white and red wires looks strange.

Which switch is which ?

Also... if you want to install a motion sensing switch in a three way circuit.... you need a three way motion switch.

Old 12-02-15, 03:17 PM
PJmax, I'm happy to report I have the one of timer and one of the motion sensor installed on the single pole switch. Here's the picture of the 3 way switch that I will replacing.

Attached Images