Want to move a dining room light junction box

Old 12-01-15, 10:51 AM
Want to move a dining room light junction box

Hi
Need to move a junction box in the dining room to center the fixture over the table. Unfortunately, the box is used to join one outlet on one side of the room to another outlet on the other side of the room as well as for the light fixture. Don't ask how, why, etc. It came that way. That last outlet terminates the circuit. If I left things the way they are I don't have enough cable to make the move but i was thinking about this. Can I make the outlet feeding the other outlet the last outlet on that circuit and then find another way to get power to the original outlet that was being fed by that outlet. There is a switch in the room that has a 14-3 and a 14-2 wire in it and I was wondering if I could take power from that to give that other outlet power? I don't know if I am talking jibberish but I want to be able to tell the electrician what I want. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-15, 11:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Why do all that work? Install another box wherever you need it & tap off the existing box, to feed it.

Old 12-01-15, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a switch in the room that has a 14-3 and a 14-2 wire in it and I was wondering if I could take power from that to give that other outlet power?
We could go through some tests to determine if power can be drawn from the switch box, but since an electrician is coming it might be better left till then. You have explained what you want well.
Everything you mentioned is doable and it hinges on source power being at switch box, plus the electrician might have some other ideas.
The test isn't that hard and we can help if you want to do it. You will need a meter.

Old 12-01-15, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The receptacle cannot be fed from the lighting circuit.

How far does the box need to move?

Old 12-01-15, 08:10 PM
I would love to learn that test! Please pass along details. I have a meter.

Old 12-01-15, 08:18 PM
PCBoss: The box would need to be moved roughly 17 - 20".