Surge suppressor install questions.

Old 12-01-15, 03:59 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Surge suppressor install questions.

I'm prepping to install an HEPD80 but have a few best practices questions.

As can be seen in the attached photos I have no open locations at the top of the panel nor do I have sufficient slack in the wires to simply shift breakers down. I can think of two options (three if you want to consider fusing the suppressor at the end of the line).

Option 1 -- Swap the 20a and 15a breakers located in slots #4 and #8 respectively, rerouting and extending (wire/wire nut) the 15a circuit as required. This would then mean double-tapping the HEPD80 to what is now the two in-service 20a breakers located at the #2 and #4 slots.

Option 2 -- Relocate the the current 20a (slot #2) and 15a (slot #4) to the currently empty slots #18 and #20, rerouting and extending (wire/wire nut) both circuit as required. Install two new 20a breakers in slots #2 and #4 to serve exclusively the HEPD80.

Both of the above options are assuming double-tapping and/or extending wire(s) via wire nut within the panel is acceptable by code in Maryland. This also assumes the HEPD80 can be used in a double-tap scenario.

Any opinions on the above or insight as to options I've not thought of would be appreciated.

Old 12-01-15, 04:35 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
I'd probably go with option 2. Extending wires in the panel with crimps or wire nuts should be no issue; it's done all the time.

One idea..Square D makes a quad breaker which takes two slots but provides one 2 pole and 2 single pole breakers. Might be just what you need.

One other idea...if your panel allows use of tandem breakers you might be able to avoid having to extend any circuits by replacing a couple of the breakers near the top with tandems. Obviously can't use them for the Supressor since both breakers are on same leg, but could skootch some circuits down just a little.

Old 12-01-15, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I would opt for # 2 also. Extending the circuit wires is not a problem. I don't like adding tandem breakers unless they are really needed.

Old 12-01-15, 05:45 PM
G
Much appreciate the replies!

Great to know that option is viable, makes for a simple install. Should have done it when I ran the 240v/50a circuit late last year.

The HEPD80 is on order and should be here next week. Will keep an eye on this thread for any additional heads-up in the meanwhile.

Old 12-12-15, 11:06 AM
G
Thanks again guys for the advice!

Since everyone was out of the house this afternoon I was able to get it installed without imposing (for the whole 1/2 hour it took to complete ).

Old 12-12-15, 11:46 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Looks good except for one nit pick. The tape on the wire nuts was not needed.

Old 12-12-15, 05:46 PM
B
Although not required, the tape does avoid the chance of another wire somehow making its way between the nut and potentially shorting things. Slim chance of that happening, but not zero.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: