How to make electrical project look nicer?

Old 12-02-15, 02:26 PM
How to make electrical project look nicer?

I bought a baseboard thermostat and added an electric plug, an outlet, and put it in a 1-gang outdoor electrical box. I use it to control a portable electric heater that has no built-in thermostat.

However, I'm not too happy with the look, specifically the way the input/output cords are secured to the box:

The box comes with two 3/4 inch threaded holes on both ends. I screwed a 3/8 inch cable clamp into the hole, then clamped the cord. As you can see, the clamp is a little too large, but the next smaller cable clamp is 3/8 inch and there is no box with 3/8 inch threaded holes. Also, I would like the clamp to face upward or downward when it has tightened, but I have no control.

I used a 1-gang electric box because the thermostat's screw spacing is same as a light switch. I found three different kind of electrical boxes with this screw spacing. One is meant for in-wall use and has an unfinished look. The other is gray PVC box, and the third is the one I use.

Either the gray PVC or this metal weatherproof box looks good. I just need a nicer-looking way to secure the cord to the openings of the box. Any suggestions? I'm going to make another such box.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-15, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
A 3/8" fitting fits a 1/2" hole.

If you really want it to look nice I would suggest getting a 3/4" (or 1/2") strain relief. There are many types out there from basic plastic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59538[/ATTACH]

To full metal cord grips:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59539[/ATTACH]

Your budget is your only limitation. A round cord might also look better too.

Attached Images   
Old 12-02-15, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
You might try a water proof cable clamp. Example:

Name:  70125-2397047.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  12.7 KB

DANG, Tolyn types faster.

Old 12-02-15, 03:55 PM
Thanks both moderators for the ideas. The round strain relief is a good idea. I won't have to worry about orientation of the clamp.

Agreed round cable would look better. But at the big box hardware store I could not find a round 14/3 six feet extension cord, so I ended up with an air conditioner cord which I cut into two for the project. Will look for it elsewhere.

Old 12-02-15, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
You could get some 14/3 SJO cord by the foot at the big orange, or big blue store. Then get a cord cap to match your configuration.