Adapter/connector required for project

Old 12-03-15, 11:49 AM
Adapter/connector required for project

Hey guys.. I'm making a pedalboard for guitar effect pedals. The power supply I'm using is here: Amazon.com: Visual Sound One Spot Combo Pack: Musical Instruments

And the board will look something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/DWdsf2h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/l7V3FVb.jpg

However, I'll be using (clearly) a different power supply than the one in that board, and I'm trying to put a plug on the side of the board so I don't have to plug the 'One Spot' PS into a strip. I know normally with other power supplies I'd get an IEC connector and solder the power supply's cord-but since this is just an adapter, what should I use? Something like an extension cord?

thanks, big noobie here

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-15, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Not only do you need a way to plug the wall wart in.... you need to fasten it to the board also.
A modified extension would work. A small power strip would also work.

Ideally a small power strip that you could screw to the wood and then a cable tie around that and the wall wart.

This calls for a road trip to the depot.

Old 12-03-15, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something like this might work, but is a bit difficult to mount on the side of your box
https://www.cablesandkits.com/plug-a...er-p-7926.html

The other option would be to use a standard 6' extension cord, and clamp it to your board so it's 'permanently' attached to the board and the power supply is plugged in. Then the 6' (or longer) cord would be plugged in like usual.

You can also get an panel mount IEC C14 plug and wire it up, but then you need to ensure it's enclosed so someone can't accidentally get shocked. I'd personally try to stick with an off-the-shelf solution.

ps: that's a pretty neat power supply concept. I don't play guitar, but old friends did and I remember the mess of wires they'd have for their effects pedals.

Old 12-03-15, 09:02 PM
thx for the replies. Let me know if this idea will have a negative effect on the sound quality/would it induce noise/anything bad:

mount one of these IEC sockets on the back of the pedalboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Something like this:

on the back of the IEC socket, plug in an extension cord (1/2ft), and plug the wall wart into the extension cord.

This way I can use a standard pc plug/ac cable to connect the pedalboard to an outlet/strip, and it looks neat?

Old 12-03-15, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
That should work fine. Just make sure everything is well insulated and you should be set.

Haven't seen a multi pedal setup in a while..... looks good.

Old 12-03-15, 09:08 PM
After looking at the adapter (Amazon.com: Interpower 8301213 IEC 60320 C14 Screw Mount Power Inlet with Quick Disconnects, IEC 60320 C14 Socket Type, Black, 10A/15A Rating, 250VAC Rating: Industrial & Scientific) I'm not sure if I can plug an extension cord to the back of that with the spade blades.. would I have to snip the extension cord and solder in the pins?

Old 12-03-15, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... that will have pins/eyelets on the back. Shrink tubing would work well there.

Name:  IEC.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  10.8 KB

Old 12-04-15, 09:12 AM
alright, figured as much. Does that also mean I have to enclose the adapter in like a Hammond box? Or is it okay to just have the soldered wires running under the board

Old 12-04-15, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
I don't see a need to enclose the adapter unless it's needed for protection when transporting.