Adding Romex to Existing Blue Box

Old 12-03-15, 06:06 PM
Adding Romex to Existing Blue Box

Hello -

I need to add another romex cable to an existing blue box in a finished wall. I have an access hole at the top of the wall and the existing box is at the bottom of the wall.

My options are to use a hacksaw and cut the nails off the existing box, pull the wires out, and replace the box with a remodel box and rewire.

OR

Break a wire clamp tab out of the box and fish the new wire up the wall from inside the box.

I've been reading conflicting information about the correctness of breaking the wire clamp out of the box. It's easier to do this than to replace the whole box but I don't want to do anything incorrectly.

So, what's the correct thing to do that the pros do?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-15, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
With a single gang box you break the tab off. You can then fish thru the knockout and bring your wire in there.

Old 12-05-15, 06:39 AM
I need to add another romex cable to an existing blue box in a finished wall.
This is all well and good but have you considered the "box fill" capacity of the box you are going to use if a new one or the existing one? How many romexs are in the box presently-actually how many conductors are in the box now. If it is a blue box look in the back of the box for the cubic inch capacity rating of the box. How many conductors in total will you have at the end? They do make deeper blue boxes but be sure the wall is deep enough to accommodate the deeper box. Also will you be using 12 or 14 gauge conductors and what is in there presently?

Old 12-05-15, 06:50 AM
Thank you both. Turns out it was easier to cut out the box and replace it with a remodel box. The new one is extra deep to accommodate the extra wire. I appreciate the advice!

Old 12-05-15, 06:54 AM
You are welcome. Glad is worked out for you.