Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

NEC code for stapling wires on floor joist in unfinished basement

Old 12-06-15, 03:54 PM

i am running wires parallel on a floor joist in an unfinished basement, the floor joists are 10"-12" wide. is there a NEC code that specifies a maximum or minimum distance the wire must be running from either the top or the bottom the joist?
any distance requirements for a 4" junction box on the same joist?
also what about if holes needed to be drilled to make a 90 degree.
i have always placed wires with common sense either in the center or 2"-3" from any edge.

on that note what type of wire staples are preferred, i am using the "GB" NM plastic ones with the two nails from home depot but they are hard to remove if you need to.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-15, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cable should be at least 1 1/4" from the top or bottom of the joist.

The holes should be drilled in the middle between the top and bottom to weaken the member as little as possible. No holes in the middle 1/3 of the span. Keep a couple inches between adjacent holes.

Cable need to be secured within 8" of a box without a clamp or within 12" of a clamp or cable connector. No more than 4 1/2' between staples.

Any junction box must remain accessible. If in a finished surface it needs to be flush.

Old 12-06-15, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
is there a NEC code that specifies a maximum or minimum distance the wire must be running from either the top or the bottom the joist?
Yes, 1 1/4" minimum away the nailing face of the framing member. (the top and bottom of the joist. )

any distance requirements for a 4" junction box on the same joist?
No, but the box must be accessible.

also what about if holes needed to be drilled to make a 90 degree.
If I drill through a joist and am going to turn the cable I normally drill through at a 45 degree angle, but that is not required. Just do not bend the cable more than 6x the diameter of the cable.

I prefer the plastic staples over the wire ones.

Old 12-06-15, 07:36 PM
If the cable has to turn, wouldn't it be better to drill any needed holes in the joist at 90 degrees anyway and have the cable bulge away from the joist to make the turn? The 90 degree hole removes less wood than a slanted hole.

Old 12-07-15, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just drill 90 to the run and leave some bend in the cable, not a tight 90.