Running a line for a welder....

Old 12-11-15, 12:36 PM
Running a line for a welder....

OK, don't know what kind of answer I will get out of this since most are reluctant to give advice due to the liability when it comes to electric but here it goes. Got a 100amp box run 300 feet back to my new work shop and inspected. Hired an electrician. Now I have to run all the inside wiring before I put the ceiling in. I am comfortable with this and have already run the outlets and some of the lights. I am planning on buying a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 arc welder. I know I need to have a 50 amp breaker and the electrician had me purchase heavier wire for the main run with this in mind. Now I need to run the inside line after I figure out where I want to put it. The furthest possibility from the panel would be 65 feet. What gauge wire would be appropriate for this run? It would be copper wire and if I decided to have a shorter run I would probably stick to the same gauge.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-15, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
I am planning on buying a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 arc welder. I know I need to have a 50 amp breaker and the electrician had me purchase heavier wire for the main run with this in mind.
By code it depends on the duty cycle of the welder but #6 should be okay. Distance isn't a factor at 65'.

Old 12-11-15, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Ray said #6 would cover any welder in that class. #8 would cover about 95% of welders in that class; #10 would certainly be enough for many.

You could also install 3/4" conduit and pull in the correct wires when you buy the machine.

Old 12-11-15, 03:25 PM
Great, I'll go with #6....thank you.