My service panel ground wire broke.


Old 12-12-15, 09:49 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: mobile alabama USA
Posts: 144
My service panel ground wire broke.

I was doing some construction very near service panel ground wire and I was going to dig it up temperarily and rebury it but it's very old and it broke above ground. Can I ust get a conector of some sort and rejoin the 2 pieces or what? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-15, 10:05 AM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,093
You can temporarily patch it together but technically you need a continuous ground wire from the panel to one ground rod. (The run(s) to additional ground rod(s) can be spliced on.)
Old 12-12-15, 10:11 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 46,116
You can use a polaris or split lug bug for a temporary repair. Home improvement stores will have the split lug type which are less costly.

Name:  polaris.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  13.0 KB
Old 12-12-15, 06:11 PM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,024
For a permanent fix you are supposed to be able to use an irreversible compression splice.
something like: Burndy YGS6C Hylink Grounding Irreversible Compression Splice, #6 sol./str. Copper Conductor Size, 2.38" Length: Terminals: Industrial & Scientific

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes