Yellow Electrical Wire as Extention Cord

Old 12-13-15, 01:39 PM
Yellow Electrical Wire as Extention Cord

Hello,

I have yellow electrical wire (white/black/ground) passed through my attic and in-wall. It is not connected to anything - one side is supposed by mounted as the outlet in the ceiling and another one just hang from the box in the wall (you can see it in the attachment). I confirmed that it is the same wire.

I am mounting the projector and would like to use ceiling end for the outlet. My problem is how to put power there. Unfortunately, there is the stud in between outlet and electric box and I cannot back-wire yellow cable to existing outlet.

Do I have any options here? Can I just mount a plug to another end of the yellow cable and just use it as the extension cord?

Thank you very much!

Name:  wire.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  40.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-15, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I think what you are proposing is a suicide cord with two male plugs on the ends. No you can't do that. Is that just one cable in that box? Is it possibly more and one is energized at some point? Edit: No you can't just mount a plug to the end of the Romex, either. I re-read your post.

Old 12-13-15, 01:51 PM
Can't you drill through the stud? Or take out the box that the outlet is attached to and pull it from behind the stud?

Can you put a plug on the end and plug it in? Yes. Should you? no

If you can't get the cable to the other box anyway, and you don't mind the look, you could replace both for surface mounted j boxes and put a nipple between them and a blind cover on one and the outlet in the other.

Old 12-13-15, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Esand wrote:
you could replace both for surface mounted j boxes and put a nipple between them and a blind cover on one and the outlet in the other
To make it look nicer I'd suggest put a surface race (AKA Wiremold) extension box on both boxes. And run a short piece of surface race (Wire mold) between the two extension boxes.

Name:  Wiremold-Single-Gang-Extension-Box-B-5-BW5.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  23.7 KB

Or remove both boxes and drill a hole at an angle into the stud. Go back with plastic old work boxes and before inserting the boxes drill holes to align with the angled hole in the stud. Run your cable between the boxes and seal the hole with fire-stop caulk.

Old 12-13-15, 02:04 PM
Hi Chanler and Esand and thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, I cannot do it behind the stud - there is no space between the stud and outer wall of the house. Drilling the hole could be an option but..

I wonder, why the "simplest thing" always becomes the most complicated part of the project

Again, thank you!

Old 12-13-15, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Did you see my post? We posted at about the same time.

Old 12-13-15, 02:18 PM
Those definitely are the options! Thank you very much, Ray, for pointing into that direction!

Old 12-13-15, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
If doing it in my house I'd probably use Wiremold. If doing it for a customer I'd remove the boxes and drill a hole. I would use a 12" long spade bit to decrease the angle of the hole as much as possible.

Old 12-13-15, 04:34 PM
Install a male receptacle at the end next to the existing wall receptacle and install an ordinary receptacle on the ceiling.

Connect an extension cord (or an uninterruptible power supply) down at the wall receptacles to power the ceiling receptacle.