switched outlet allowing LEDs to dimly light

Old 12-17-15, 12:59 PM
switched outlet allowing LEDs to dimly light

I have an outlet with a wall switch, with a string of LED Christmas lights on the outlet. The switch is the kind that glows orange when in the off position. With the switch in the off position it dimly lights up the LED string about as bright as fireflies but not full power. In the off position it will not light an incandescent bulb. When I put a amperage tester into the outlet it read 49.5. Is this switch letting almost half the power (49.5 of 110) to the outlet in order to let the light switch glow? Should I be concerned?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-15, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
The switch is the kind that glows orange when in the off position.
And it probably has no neutral. That type of switch draws a small amount of power through the load when it is off. Best replace it with a standard switch. Easiest plug in a power strip and plug the Christmas lights and a lamp with an incandescent bulb into the power strip. (Lamp must be left on when the switch is off. It can be off when the switch is on.)

Old 12-18-15, 05:55 PM
When I put a amperage tester into the outlet it read 49.5
I believe you are confused, there is no amperage tester like that.

Old 12-20-15, 06:18 PM
No need for concern.

Only enough power needed to make the switch handle glow is being drawn.

This quantity of power (watts) is not enough to make a 60 watt incandescent bulb glow but was enough to make your Christmas light string glow dimly.

You are not wasting electricity. Incidentally the lighted switch handle would draw a slightly larger current and glow barely noticeably brighter if the switch were controlling a good sized incandescent bulb. If the load controlled by the switch were smaller then the handle might fail to glow. It would take a good amount of math to explain why.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-20-15 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 06:40 AM
Good chance if you plug an incandescent night light (4 or 7 watts) into the same outlet, those LED strings will not glow (if it bugs you) because the circuit will be completed through the lower resistance night light bulb.