Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What is the safest and easiest way to strip SJO cord (12/3)

What is the safest and easiest way to strip SJO cord (12/3)

Old 12-18-15, 04:43 PM
Question What is the safest and easiest way to strip SJO cord (12/3)

I am making an extension cord with some surplus 12/3 SJO. I have about 10' of it. What is the best way to strip the outer jacket without damaging the inner conductors? I have in the past used a utility knife (AKA Box cutter) but I always seem to damage the inner wires, although that was an 18/3 computer power cord and not SJO which I never worked with before. I have a wire stripper that is good to 12 AWG so I am good there I have one GE 5-20P and 5-20R

Here is a picture of the Receptacle and Plug

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  28.8 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  28.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-15, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
I make a ring around the wire where I want the jacket to be removed. Don't go all the way thru.
Then cut from that ring to the end. Now peel the jacket off. Sometimes it's easier to use pliers to pull the jacket off at this point.

Old 12-18-15, 04:56 PM
I have a handy little tool that I paid less than ten bucks for (they range in price from about $8 to over $30) that has an adjustable knife blade that swivels. Adjust it to just a fraction less than the thickness of the outer insulation, twirl it a time or two around the cable and then pull it lengthwise. Use a pair of side cutters or regular pliers to then strip off the outer jacket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60227[/ATTACH]
(Image courtesy allproducts.com)

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-15, 04:58 PM
How much of the outer jacket should be removed?

Old 12-18-15, 05:23 PM
There is a line molded into the cord-entry side of the plug itself showing the length of the stripped conductors and then the amount of insulation to be left on the conductors. The end of that line (left side as I recall) is where the outer jacket begins. It is about 1-1/4 inch from the outer end of the conductor to the jacket but use the gauge on the plug for the best measurement.

Old 12-18-15, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
If you score the jacket with a knife and then sharply bend the SO cord the outside jacket will break/tear. I normally only strip about 1" of free conductor. Cord caps are notoriously tight on wire space.

Old 12-18-15, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
The strip gauge is on the cap....

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  19.4 KB