Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Could crashing a car into an outlet damage the entire circuit?

Could crashing a car into an outlet damage the entire circuit?

Old 12-21-15, 05:01 PM
Red face Could crashing a car into an outlet damage the entire circuit?

Before you flame me, yes, I know this was a dingbat move, but a while back, I accidentally accelerated in the garage right into an outlet. The drywall separated from the outlet leaving a gaping hole.

In the meantime, we realized some of our basement lights and outlets aren't working. Resetting via the circuit breaker box did not fix it. Looked everywhere for a GFCI outlet that we had somehow missed and we can't find any in the basement (all the ones in the house we know of, we've already reset, to no avail).

Could the car crash have damaged the outlet and consequently that entire circuit? The garage is directly above the two rooms in the basement whose outlets and lights no longer function.

Another possibility: I discovered a brand-new-in-the-box GFCI outlet in the basement. The basement had been wired by a handyman and I don't believe it was ever inspected by an electrician. Is it possible he forgot to install a GFCI outlet and that could be causing the problem?? If so, would just installing the GFCI fix this problem? Thanks in advance, and yes, I deserve any ridicule you need to throw my way.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-15, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Is it possible he forgot to install a GFCI outlet and that could be causing the problem?
Lack of a GFCI receptacle will not cause a problem so long as it doesn't involve wires being left disconnected. If it worked before the crash then there is your proof the cause isn't a missing GFCI receptacle.

Have you opened the damaged receptacle? If so what do you see?

Old 12-22-15, 06:27 AM
Damage

Replace the damaged wire, the box, and the receptacle.

Old 12-22-15, 07:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The lack or presence of a gfi would not cause your issue typically. The connection at the receptacle could have become loose when the drywall shifted.

Old 12-22-15, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm also guessing it's a loose or stripped wire in or around the damaged garage electrical box.

To repair, I'd probably cut open about a 12" tall section of the drywall over the stud bay where the damaged receptacle was/is. You'll want to be able to inspect the cable staples to make sure the romex wasn't cut open when the box moved. Next, I'd replace the box, remake the connections and install a new device. Repair the drywall and you'll be done. The garage probably only requires one coat of tape and mud if you don't want to bother getting a good finish.