How to wire a Leviton Combination Switch & Pilot Light

Old 12-23-15, 07:14 AM
How to wire a Leviton Combination Switch & Pilot Light

Hi,
I have a switch in my stairway that is used to turn on the light in my basement. As i always forget to turn it off, i would like to turn the regular switch into a switch with a pilot light that stays on while the basement light is on.

I have just one wire coming into the box (no wire going out) with a Hot Black wire, a white wire and a copper wire.

Can I wire a combination switch with a pilot light? The wiring diagram is a bit confusing showing a Hot wire, a load wire and Neutral wire.

Thanks for your help.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-15, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
I have just one wire coming into the box (no wire going out)
No, you have one cable. A wire is a single conductor. You have a cable., two or more wires in a metallic or non metallic sheath. You have a basic switch loop, no neutral.
The wiring diagram is a bit confusing showing a Hot wire, a load wire and Neutral wire.
You have hot and load but no neutral so the switch won't work. You may be able to find a similar switch that does not use a neutral but they will only work with incandescent bulbs.

To use the switch you have you could replace the 2-conductor cable from the light with a 3-conductor cable or if easier run power to the switch from a near by source and abandon the original power source at the light.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-23-15 at 09:22 AM.