Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Trying to plan a splice/junction box to splice wire and add two new lights

Old 12-28-15, 11:30 PM

I guess this could have been in either of the two sub forums (this and lighting), but I figured a mod could move if necessary, this has to do more with the planning/execution of the wiring/j-boxing more than anything.

So, first off, let's get the basics out of the way. This is the first time I've ever attempted to splice wire in my house. SADLY, I do NOT have easy access from the breaker box to the space I need to splice and then add lighting in.

Two story slab house. New construction. Carpenters made this place like a fortress, huge support beams everywhere. Electricians drilled holes in some of these load bearing beams and ran most of the wiring THROUGH it and in between the floors...sadface. So no easy access to run new wire from the breaker box to the space like I said before.

To be honest, something seems fishy that they didn't need to use junction boxes anywhere (for a circuit), not that I found throughout both attics anyway. It seems that all wires were run directly from the breaker box to its designated place during construction and they just hid those bad boys in between all the plywood.

Alright, that was a way too long introduction of the house.

I am building storage space UNDER my stairs. I have already taken down the drywall and ensure that whatever stud I took out that was in place was not loading bearing.

The thing is...I have Two 14 AWG lines and One 12 AWG line running through where I want to make the doorway to the space under the stairs. The two 14s are for an electrical outlet, that I plan on just moving to another wall after rerouting the lines.

The one 12 AWG line is the problem. I have no idea where it is coming from (I am assuming it is from the breaker), but it seems to be going into the bathroom GFCI outlets.

It is coming down a stud from the in-between space between the floors, I tried tracing it through the attic, but it's a toss up. I doubt it's the one leading into the HVAC unit, which is also on a 12 AWG, and the only other darn 12AWG lines were in the attic above the garage, coming from the breaker box.

WHAT I NEED/WANT TO DO:

Need to splice the 12AWG, so it's out of the way and I can put a door there.

I want to put lighting (it'll be two separate lights/switches) in the new spaces that I am constructing. I have a pretty good idea how to get it from the switch to the light. But the source line is the main problem I am having to deal with, since I am going to need to have to splice in the 12AWG line.

WHAT I NEED HELP ON

Is it possible to use a 2GANG 1BLANK Plastic Box to do the splice in, or do I need to do the splice in a separate junction box, and then have them running into two separate 1 Gang switches?

Diagram attached of current planning. I just really need to know what's the best way of going about this. If my plan looks solid.

Name:  CurrentPlan.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  27.1 KB

The 12AWG and both lights/switches will be in the same empty space until I put up the drywall, so it's easy access to everything. The only thing I am stuck on is getting started with the splice/junction box. I'll use a 3Gang, blank face junction box if that's what I need and also since it's against the bathroom wall, I am thinking about putting it directly behind the mirror, which I can slide over, or I'll have to cut away underneath the sink cabinets and place it there.

Thanks mod for the image adjustments!

Last edited by VictorB; 12-28-15 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Rotate, crop, enlarge image.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-15, 11:43 PM
Group Moderator
A splice of circuit "A" can share a box with switches on circuit "B".

Old 12-28-15, 11:54 PM
Nani?

So, let me make sure I am understanding this right.

I can splice from the source wire, and have them all in the same box as the first switch? And then just go from the "under stairs" switch to the "walk-in closet" switch? Something like in Wiring Diagrams for Household Light Switches - Do-it-yourself-help.com "two switches control two lights" ?? Except obviously, I have to include the splice to the bathroom GFCIs, so it'll be one in, 3 out?

But what is "safe" in regards to what gang junction box.

Old 12-29-15, 03:54 AM
Group Moderator
But what is "safe" in regards to what gang junction box.
So long as the junction box is large enough for all the wires, what is called box fill, it is okay. http://www.constructionmonkey.com/ca...trical/boxfill
so it'll be one in, 3 out?
No. Two in three out. You have both the bathroom and power source for your light in. (The bathroom can not be the power source for the light.)

Old 12-29-15, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the #12 is for the bathroom or dedicated to the furnace it cannot be used as a source for the new lighting.

Old 12-29-15, 07:23 AM
It's a bit hard to understand the drawing,but is it possible to install a "J"box in the closet and splice the 12's in there with a blank cover,treat the 14's the same way, not such a good plan to hide anything behind a mirror.

Old 12-30-15, 03:04 PM
Yes, the #12 is definitely for the GFCIs in the Bathroom. I made sure by turning off that specific switch on the breaker box (marked Bathroom GFCI). It's funny, because there's 2 outlets in there (so 4 #12 wires), I can only see 2 #12 wires for one of the outlets since it's J-box is inside the sink cabinet. The other one is behind a wall as you go into the bathroom.

So, it's a no-go for splicing the #12 for a new power source using the bathroom #12 awg? If not, it's still in the way of my new door. I should be able to still splice it and move it out of the way right?

There is a #14 that comes from the bathroom (also part of the lighting/venting bathroom system) but obviously on a separate breaker switch.

What are the thoughts about using that for the new light sources (there are already 2 separate lights behind used, one in the bathroom and one in the walk-in closet)?

Old 12-30-15, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
I should be able to still splice it and move it out of the way right?
Yes.
There is a #14 that comes from the bathroom (also part of the lighting/venting bathroom system)
That would be okay for a light.
It's funny, because there's 2 outlets in there (so 4 #12 wires), I can only see 2 #12 wires for one of the outlets
It is common for one receptacle to feed the next.

Old 12-30-15, 04:08 PM
Here are some pics just in case someone spots something strange. I will probably end up doing this over the weekend, after getting some opinions on the matter and some basic research.Name:  20151230_171102.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  16.5 KBName:  20151230_171022.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  22.6 KBName:  20151230_171017.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  18.6 KBName:  20151230_170941.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  19.4 KBName:  20151230_170934.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  20.8 KBName:  20151230_170927.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  20.3 KBName:  20151230_170908.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  19.7 KB

Old 12-30-15, 04:16 PM
In the first and last pic (upside down sadly), you can see the 14-2 Cable and outlet. Thinking about it more and more, I probably don't need that outlet (was originally thinking of moving it into the new under stairs closet).

So, let's say I use that instead, I should be able to just chain it from that outlet to the new light switches right (in two separate rooms, two separate switches)?

Or, not use them at all and place a j-box and splice new cables to each new light switch. This will leave an ugly blank plate in the new closet, but eh.

Old 12-30-15, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Of course I'm sure you know all cables must be run through the center of the stud.
This will leave an ugly blank plate in the new closet, but eh.
I'm sure you know ugly is in the eye of the beholder and only you will think it is ugly.

Old 12-30-15, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many people are going to look inside a closet under the stairs?

Old 12-30-15, 07:38 PM
Of course I'm sure you know all cables must be run through the center of the stud.
Yes sir! Me and the fiance already had a discussion about how "crappy" of a job they did with the wiring in the house.

I'm sure you know ugly is in the eye of the beholder and only you will think it is ugly.
How many people are going to look inside a closet under the stairs?
I know, I know... In the beginning, I was hoping for a secret man-cave under the stairs. Where I could throw a small pc, monitor/TV, sit back and hide from everyone But, I think it's going to be a storage for sure now though.

Old 12-30-15, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Hang a picture over the blank plate. For a man cave maybe a velvet Dogs Playing Poker.