Half of stove working?

Old 12-29-15, 06:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Half of stove working?

We've had an issue with a breaker tripping(single pole) when a couple of eyes on the stove are on, the oven, the microwave , and/or using an appliance in an outlet close to the stove. It kills the outlets, microwave, and the eyes and oven of the range, but not the display. It's been like this since we've moved in here. I got brave enough to look in the panel and found that one leg of the stove is in a single pole 30 breaker, the other is ran up the box to another double pole breaker and piggy backed under one leg there. There was another single pole that had a piggy under it also. I got a new double pole breaker for the stove and unpiggy backed the other one.
Now the eyes and oven still don't work, display does though. I have 120v on each side of the range breaker. What am I missing? Any advice is appreciated, as I can't afford an electrician right now.

Old 12-29-15, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not quite following you. If it's a 240v stove then you need to have 240v at the stove and it should be on its own two pole breaker...... not shared with anything else.

Some pictures of your wiring would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 12-29-15, 06:34 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
What is an eye on the stove?

Is this a gas or electric range? Can you provide the manufacturer and model number? Can you also provide some pictures of the electric service panel with the cover removed?

Old 12-29-15, 07:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This sounds like a landlord problem. Have you talked to him about getting it fixed? If you are a renter you should not try to fix it. The liability is just to great.

Old 12-29-15, 07:24 PM
J
Electric stove top, 4 burners/eyes, electric oven. It's on its own double pole breaker now, it wasn't before. The display that shows the oven temp, timer, and clock is working, nothing else is. And its my problem cause I own the house. I have not pulled the stove and checked voltage at the outlet yet. It all worked fine when it was split and piggy backed under the other breaker, with the exception of tripping the single pole when everything was on.

Old 12-29-15, 07:28 PM
It's on its own double pole breaker now, it wasn't before. The display that shows the oven temp, timer, and clock is working, nothing else is.
Is this a GE breaker panel? GE half size breakers can be put in wrong and only supply 120 volts.
I have not pulled the stove and checked voltage at the outlet yet.
Check at the breaker first.

Old 12-30-15, 04:22 AM
J
Its an old Federal Pacific "Stab-loc" panel, 200 amp. The breakers are getting hard to find, or should I say hard to find reasonable. The electrical place here in town wanted $160 for a double pole. I got it off Amazon for $46.

Old 12-30-15, 08:21 AM
I'd suspect the breaker first. I've see ones a customer got cheap that were so poorly made they fell out of the box from their own weight. Use a multimeter to check the voltage at the breaker.

Old 12-30-15, 04:23 PM
J
It was the breaker, not a faulty one, but installed wrong. I don't know how to describe how it's made or what I did wrong. I can't get a pic to pop up for some reason. But I slid it down and split a slot and it works great now.
Thanks for getting me thinking. I was about to put it back like it was till I could afford an electrician. Thanks again.

Old 12-30-15, 04:44 PM
Interesting. I have worked on quite a few FPs and never saw that problem. GE yes FP no. Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know. It may help someone else.

Old 12-30-15, 06:35 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Thanks for getting me thinking. I was about to put it back like it was till I could afford an electrician.
It's time to start saving to have the old FPE panel replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: