How to Terminate Outside Post Wires

Old 12-29-15, 07:02 PM
Gen
How to Terminate Outside Post Wires

I have a outdoor lamp post that was removed and now needs to be terminated at ground level in some kind of enclosure? What should I use? The wires are live via switch inside house. Thanks very much

Name:  IMG_20151229_131535526.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  25.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-15, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
They should be disconnected at the switch assuming that is the power source and abandoned in place.

If you plan to reinstall a light at some point put in a short 4x4 post with a weatherproof box and cover to terminate them in. If you don't want a post do a search on "electrical hand hole boxes".

Old 12-29-15, 07:21 PM
Gen
OK I'm missing a little. As I see it an outdoor weather proof box....I could use a single, or double gang or 4 square, or one of those big grey plastic J boxes. But the post is 3" dia....how would I adapt it to a outdoor box with a cover?........or am I going down the wrong road with this?

Also could you send a link to hand hold box? I looked and don't see what makes sense yet.

Thanks

Old 12-30-15, 09:26 AM
There is no adapter made to connect to what you have there now. It actually looks like your old post just rusted off at ground level. This is going to be a much bigger project that you're anticipating. Your best bet is to just disconnect the power inside the house and abandoned it in place until you get ready to install a new outside light post.

Old 12-30-15, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Hand hold box was a typo. Should have been hand hole box. However I agree with Maradell best to disconnect at the house.
But the post is 3" dia....how would I adapt it to a outdoor box
That isn't what I suggested. I wrote:
put in a short 4x4 post with a weatherproof box and cover to terminate them in.
The box would be screwed to the 4x4 post.