Adding Permenant 220 outlet

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-15, 04:52 PM
Adding Permenant 220 outlet

I live in a trailer home out in the boonies and there is only a few propane companies here and they were going to require me to buy a new tamk after my buddy accidently had a negligent discharge and shot a hole in mine tank with his ar. No wanting to make the harrison family any richer with thier prices I decided to convert my stove, and dryer to electric. I got a used range and dryer and i dont have a 220 outlet so i fixed up a cord that I put two 110 snake heads on and went into a 220 outlet box, when i need 220 I have to find two 110 outets on different sides and then I can run 220. it works perfect but my wife is tired of tripping over my cords. currently the nuetrals are bonded in my 220 outlet box I made.

I am going to bring two number 12 romexes from two seperate 120 outlets and backstab them and run them to the stove permenantly, do I need to bond the netrals from the two circuits together? or does it not matter since they are bonded in the box.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-15, 05:17 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Buy the new tank! You'll be a lot safer. Merging two outlets is not the way to go.

Old 12-31-15, 05:35 PM
A new tank isnt an option right now, plus I have bought an electric range and dryer now. I have been using the 220 appliances this way since august with no trouble. I just use two extension cords on two diffrent oppisite outlets. My wife is always running around barefoot and is afraid she will get shocked by stepping on the cords cause years ago she used to get a shock from touching the microwave and refrigerator at the same time, which she wont but I keep getting the business from her. My neighbor say that I need to bond the nuetrals together, but they are bonded in the panel so what difference does it make. but I am going to run romex under the trailer so its safe. Plus then my wife wont always have to step over the cords and she wont have to worry about the cat getting into them. her ex husband was an electricion and when he picks up the kids he always runs his mouth about my cords.

both circuits I am geting the 120 from are 12 gauge romex should be good for 30 amps

Old 12-31-15, 05:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Pay the ex husband to do the job right.

Old 12-31-15, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Well first off you don't have 220 and 110 you have 240 and 120. Next #12 is not good for 30 amps and you need 40 amps for a stove, #8. There is no way anyone here is going to bless your dangerous folly. If you don't want to kill someone and/or burn down your trailer stop trying to do it wrong. We will be happy to help you do it safely and correctly but do every one a favor and disconnect those cords now.

Old 12-31-15, 06:11 PM
Im confused, the chart i show says that #12 110 romex is good for 16 amps, so if i have two legs isnt that 32 amps capacity? Basically I am trying to avoid running any new cable because it would be a 75 foot run of new cable for each appliance. The wiring is good, its from 1997.

I have been doing this for months and it works perfect, never tripped a breaker or anything.

Old 12-31-15, 06:16 PM
im not sure if it matters but I only have 110 volts with load on I measured it with my tester, its 115 if nothings on. in the fall when the neighbors farm have grain dryers running it can dip down to 108.

Old 12-31-15, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry Rick but this is a disturbing thread to read. Risking your life is one thing.... risking your wife's is another.

This thread has run its course. If you have questions you'd like to ask.... please feel free to start a new thread but any questions on connecting suicide electrical cords will not be tolerated.

Old 12-31-15, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You cannot parallel conductors that small. What you are doing is not safe. Please find a way to trade or barter for the work to be done properly. Your family's life is worth it.

Old 01-02-16, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
#12 110 romex is good for 16 amps, so if i have two legs isnt that 32 amps capacity?
No. #12 is good for 16 amps continuous load. It doesn't matter if it is one, two, or three (3 phase), 120, 240 or 480 volts. It is 16 amps for #12 wire continuous load.

im not sure if it matters but I only have 110 volts with load on I measured it with my tester, its 115 if nothings on. in the fall when the neighbors farm have grain dryers running it can dip down to 108.
That is voltage drop at work.

Closed Thread