Laundry room receptacle locations

Old 01-01-16, 12:21 PM
Laundry room receptacle locations

Hello, I just purchased a stackable washer and dryer. I am trying to make the laundry room little more efficient in regards to space. I want to move the washer and dryer receptacles, so the washer and dryer can be flush against the wall. Is there a height requirement, where the the receptacles can be placed ? also, is there a requirement as to how far it needs to be away from a water source and dryer duct ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-16, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Electric pro's will be in but remember you need at least 4 to 6 inches behind dryer for vent. also washer hoses will stick out a couple of inches. Do not pinch vent or you will have dryer problems.

Old 01-01-16, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Is the dryer gas or electric? If gas it can share a receptacle with the washer. Some stackers have only a single shared 120/240 cord. Does your have individual cords for each appliance?
Is there a height requirement, where the the receptacles can be placed ?
No but it needs to be low enough the cord can reach it.
is there a requirement as to how far it needs to be away from a water source and dryer duct ?
No but a 120v receptacle within six feet of a sink requires GFCI protection (a 120/240v receptacle doesn't.

I would put any receptacle about four feet up and to one side of the washer and dryer (about 6" to the side) for easy access. If you need both a 120v receptacle and a 120/240v receptacle you could use a double gang box (but finding a cover plate might be a bit of a challenge).

Old 01-01-16, 01:44 PM
ok, thank you !! Yea, its electric dryer. I am recess part of the wall that will be behind the stackable. the wall is 8" thick, so that could give me some room to collapse much of the duct work, cables, etc..

Old 01-01-16, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With a wall that deep you should look at the dryer box. You do not want any restrictions in the ductwork.