Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Getting a shock when I touch washer and dryer at same time.

Getting a shock when I touch washer and dryer at same time.

Closed Thread

  #1  
Old 01-02-16, 10:31 AM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting a shock when I touch washer and dryer at same time.

I have an older washer and dryer that work perfect, I recently changed my dryer from a gas unit to an electric one, the washer has not changed. Now when I touch both at the same time I get electrocuted a little bit. This only happens when the dryer is on. If I unplug the washer I get no shock, but it cant be the washer because it didnt bite me before.

If I put jumper cables between the washer and dryer frames it doesn't electrocute me, and it doesnt spark. My neighbor who used to be an electrical inspector and electrician says that I have a floating ground, The washer and dryer use the same ground and I have good connections so im wondering if the dryer is no good.

years ago we had a refrigerator and microwave next to each othe and boy if you went careful and touched both at the right spot it would knock you on the floor. i ended up having to move the microwave. but the jumper cable trick didnt work on it, when i tried hooking those together there was a terrible spark.

Is my netral wire not big enough? any tips?
 
  #2  
Old 01-02-16, 10:58 AM
C
Member
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,138
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Did you have new wiring installed for the electric dryer or was there an existing 220 outlet for it? Does the plug from the dryer have 3 prongs or 4?
 
  #3  
Old 01-02-16, 11:46 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 13,796
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Moved this thread to the electrical section as it is likely an electrical issue not necessarily an appliance issue.

e·lec·tro·cute /əˈlektrəˌkyo͞ot/
verb
1. to kill (a person or animal) by electric shock

Since you are not dead, we will stick with you receiving a shock.

As your neighbor said, you have an open ground, possibly an open neutral, and maybe even some energized steel parts. First thing to do is to disconnect the appliances and see how the words are connected to the dryer, and check how the receptacles (outlets) are wired. If you can, post pictures of what you find here.
 
  #4  
Old 01-02-16, 11:51 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 60,772
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
This thread is tied in to his other "new and innovative" wiring methods.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ide-house.html
 
  #5  
Old 01-02-16, 12:00 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to be wise. I encourage people to not check for ground faults with their body.
If you touch something and it shocks you, there is no need to keep touching it to confirm this.
Just seek help and see what can be done.
 
  #6  
Old 01-02-16, 12:22 PM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It was a 3 prong plug, which i cut off and wired it directly to the romex like my dishwasher is setup. I have 237 volts at the red and black wire and 118 and 116 on the red to nutral and black to nutrel.

I am not touching the appliances any more,, i can tell if I will get a shock by using my voltmeter between the two machines and it says there is some voltage there. would 20 volts shock you? it doesnt seem like enough to be an issue.

I will turn off the breakers until i get this fixed.
 
  #7  
Old 01-02-16, 12:32 PM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  12.1 KB

this is my wireing.

I shouldnt have to bond the nutrels because they go yo the same bar in the panel?
 
  #8  
Old 01-02-16, 12:41 PM
W
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Name:  Screenshot_2016-01-02-12-44-14.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  14.3 KB

This is the plug that was on the dryer, I didnt want to reuse it so I wired straight to the romex like my dishwasher. I know the plug wasnt the best but the dryer worked perfectly I was told, I bought it from a guy on swap shop who dad passed away. He hung his clothes out on the line alot so it was barely used.
 
  #9  
Old 01-02-16, 01:21 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 13,796
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Any voltage can shock you depending on conditions. The lower your resistance, the bigger the shock you will receive. Also the higher the voltage, the bigger the shock you will receive.

None of your wiring is correct. You can not take one wire from one circuit and the hot and neutral from another to get the required 240 volts needed. A new dedicated 4 wire circuit (hot, hot,neutral, ground) needs to be run from your electrical service for your dryer. A dryer needs a 30 amp two pole breaker/fuse and #10 wire. A new 4 wire cord must also be installed to provide a disconnecting means.

Do not continue to use the appliances until this is fixed.
 

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 01-02-16 at 01:46 PM.
  #10  
Old 01-03-16, 07:39 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,754
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
None of your wiring is correct. You can not take one wire from one circuit and the hot and neutral from another to get the required 240 volts needed. A new dedicated 4 wire circuit (hot, hot,neutral, ground) needs to be run from your electrical service for your dryer. A dryer needs a 30 amp two pole breaker/fuse and #10 wire. A new 4 wire cord must also be installed to provide a disconnecting means.
Tolyn, this is at least the third thread on this dryer wiring, I believe the first one was closed pretty quickly. I hope you can find and read it, it's totally bizarre. The OP has been told several times the wiring is wrong, but has insisted it is fine.


After I read the closed thread and then read the second one, I thought it was some kind of a joke.
 
  #11  
Old 01-03-16, 11:36 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,583
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This thread is closed. Please heed the warnings before you injure or kill someone.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: