Wall switches don't work

Old 01-02-16, 05:17 PM
Wall switches don't work

Just moved into a new house, and the wall switches in two of the bedrooms do nothing, from what I can find. Neither bedroom has a ceiling mounted light fixture. I've checked every outlet in each room, and the outlets always have power. I'm assuming at one point the light switches controlled one of the wall outlets. The third bedroom does have a switch that works as expected (switch controls wall outlet). Is there something I can look for in the wiring of the outlets that will tell me if it was at one time wired to the switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-16, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
The switches may only be set up to control top or bottom receptacle. Did you try both ?
It's also very possible that the receptacles were replaced and not set up to have one side switched.

You'd have to pull out each receptacle and look for a red wire or extra wire on the receptacle.

Old 01-03-16, 03:11 AM
Yes, I tried both top and bottom receptacles in each outlet. All receptacles are always hot.

I know I looked at one of the receptacles...it had an extra red wire. I may try and take pictures of it and post it here.

Old 01-03-16, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, pictures of the wiring at the switches and receptacles would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html Please size the width to 1000px or less and they should be small enough to post.

It may be that at one time the brass tab on a receptacle was broken in order for only one half to be switched. If the receptacle was replaced but the tab not broken the switch would no longer work. The receptacle would be always hot.

Old 01-04-16, 09:06 AM
It's also very possible that the receptacles were replaced and not set up to have one side switched.
This is what I would suspect.