Delay with dimming switch

Old 01-04-16, 02:59 PM
Delay with dimming switch

Hi all, Simple (I think) question here. I recently replaced a regular 3-way switch with a 3-way dimming switch. The dimmer is designed for 3-way use. The install went smoothly and all works as intended. The only thing is that the bulbs now take a milli-second to come on after flipping the switch. The other dimmers I have installed on single poles don't appear to do this. Is the very slight delay of the bulbs coming on after flipping the switch normal for a 3-way dimmer hook up ? And in advance....thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-16, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes I've seen this before, especially with CFL and LED lamps.

Old 01-04-16, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Ben, LED's are famous for that since they have to be excited to illuminate. Not scoffing at your problem, I had a customer who was experiencing it and after I explained it to her, she said she would just blink her eyes when she turned the switch on so she wouldn't notice the delay. I don't remember if she was a blonde or not (just kidding), but the logic was true.

Old 01-05-16, 08:19 AM
Thanks all. I don't think i'll worry about blinking during start up though...LOL. Anytime I deal with the volts I just want to be sure that any strange happening is "Normal"...if you take my meaning. Thanks Again.