Installing a GFCI outlet onto another GFCI outlet

Old 01-12-16, 11:36 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a GFCI outlet onto another GFCI outlet

I've just adding a GFCI outlet in the bath that'll be dedicated to only powering a 55w device, and the only way I could tap into the house wiring was by bridging it to another GFCI outlet already installed. So now I'm wondering if somehow the way I've connected it might have compromised it's shut off ability in the case of a short event. Asked the elec lady at HD and she wasn't entirely sure but suggested that each GFCI outlet needed to be installed directly to house electricity and not bridged one to another.

So what do ya think? If it turns out they each need a dedicated line I could just split the romex before it gets to the first GFCI and run each of the two new segments to the two outlets.

Also, I would have thought the first GFCI outlet would have had a screw or something to run the ground to the next outlet but it didn't. Should I just try to get both ground wires (incoming and outgoing) secured to the same post?

thanks for your help

Old 01-12-16, 11:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
GFI receptacles in the bathroom are supposed to be on their own circuit by code.

GFI receptacles have line and load screw terminals. The line side is the feed in while the load side is for other receptacles protected by the first GFI. That means you can use one GFI and the receptacles connected to the load terminals are also protected.

You wouldn't need to use two back to back GFI receptacles.

The two ground wires are twisted together and then a third short piece is added (a tail) to go to the receptacle.

Old 01-13-16, 05:24 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Now that you are adding things, the new bathroom receptacle needs a 20 amp circuit that serves nothing elsewhere in the house besides lights, fan, other receptcles, etc. in that bathroom, or that serves nothing but receptacles in one or more bathrooms.

In the case of a circuit serving (that will serve) only receptacles, you may as a matter of personal preference branch off before an existing GFCI unit and put a GFCI unit at the new receptacle. This would give the convenience of not having to go to the other bathroom to reset a shared GFCI that tripped.

If two wires want to go under one screw then connect just the tail to the screw as described above.

A wire nut is needed over the bundle of twisted ends for ground wires as well as for current carrying wires.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-13-16 at 05:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: