Ceiling fan: switch wiring questions

Old 01-11-16, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In doing a search, I found this thread.

I was installing ceiling fans in a rental, house built in 50's, and found a red wire. I got two of the three installed but still trying to figure out third.

On one, I wanted to replace rheostat with regular switch and found white and black twisted together as one leg going into rheostat and the other was red. Testing current on another ceiling box, I got current on red and white but no current using black.

I read in an older forum post that red could be switched and black unswitched hot.

Would like to understand what I'm working with.

separated from...
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...red-wires.html

Last edited by PJmax; 01-11-16 at 12:03 PM. Reason: started new thread
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-16, 11:31 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
BradMM

In doing a search, I found this thread.

I was installing ceiling fans in a rental, house built in 50's, and found a red wire. I got two of the three installed but still trying to figure out third.

On one, I wanted to replace rheostat with regular switch and found white and black twisted together as one leg going into rheostat and the other was red. Testing current on another ceiling box, I got current on red and white but no current using black.

I read in an older forum post that red could be switched and black unswitched hot.

Would like to understand what I'm working with.
I'd suggest you start a thread and ask your questions instead of hijacking an entirely different thread.

Old 01-11-16, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
It sounds like you have a switch loop. The power is brought into the fan and then a three wire cable is brought down for switching. The white brings the hot down to the switch. The red is the switched back to the light. The black can be used if you put in a combination fan/light switch.

You would have to check from the black to ground to look for voltage.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  15.0 KB

Old 01-11-16, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CasualJoe,

My intent was not to "hijack" anyone or anything. I thought it was normally desirable to use existing threads rather than starting a whole new one. Of course, I've only been using online forums for 20 years or so. Guess "yours" is different.

Old 01-11-16, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 55 Posts
Actually, it is considered hijacking to tag on another thread since it takes from someone else's question, so always best to start your own, new one. However, no harm done and your question was moved to it's own thread.

Old 01-11-16, 12:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A belated welcome to the forum. Apologies your introduction to these forums started out rocky. We will all try are best to help you.

To add it is the confusion that is created. No one knows who is answering what to whom after a while. Someone reads the original part of the thread but the answer will come out in the new part of the thread and may be mistaken for an answer to the new part of the thread. Then some one replies to the new answer to the old part thinking it is part of the new part and things become increasingly muddled.

I thought it was normally desirable to use existing threads rather than starting a whole new one.
Interesting. I started out in Usenet before forums on the web and never encountered that but it just goes to show the diversity on the web