Stand-By Generator

Old 01-13-16, 02:55 PM
Stand-By Generator

Looking in to getting one, just some thoughts. If you only have a 100-Amp service, what size whole house generator would you need. Also, if you opted for a smaller size and in an emergency and someone forgot and started the dishwasher, microwave and house heater, would/could that mess up all the appliances that were trying to run. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-16, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
You'd need to do a load calculation for a standby generator. You'd add up all the large electric using appliances/devices.... like electric heat, hot water, cooking, A/C, etc.

I have a 100A service in my house. My house is ALL natural gas. I use a 5K Honda generator to run the entire house. I have a disconnect where I switch the entire panel to the generator. I can basically run everything except A/C.

If I was opting for a auto standby generator - I'd get a Kohler 12RES generator.
Your demand needs may be different.

Personally I could care less about running the A/C on generator but I could with the 12kw.

Old 01-13-16, 06:38 PM
Also, if you opted for a smaller size and in an emergency and someone forgot and started the dishwasher, microwave and house heater, would/could that mess up all the appliances that were trying to run.
You have to think about worst case. When you have an automatic transfer switch any power outage will start the generator and the transfer switch will transfer the load no matter what may be on. What if just before you drove away from the house you started both the washing machine and dishwasher on a warm day. The power drops out and the generator starts......the transfer switch transfers the load......both machines continue and a few minutes later the air conditioning system comes on.

Old 01-13-16, 06:58 PM
Consider an automatic transfer switch with load shedding. They cost more but are required in some cases if the generator can't meet the needs of the "entire connected load." Look up NEC 700.4 (a).

Old 01-14-16, 05:35 AM
I'd get a Kohler 12RES generator.
It's got hydraulic valve lifters, interesting. My Generac 15kW does not and the that rear cylinder is not easy to get to!

Old 01-14-16, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many appliances shut off upon power loss and will not restart until the power button is pushed again. This would avoid the heavy startup demand on a genset.

Old 01-14-16, 11:20 AM
Thank you for the input. We have just started to consider the generator and have only spoken to the local electrical warehouse in the area to get an idea for an installer.

Old 01-14-16, 07:01 PM
I used a knife switch to switch-over my 9500 watt Champion generator. It cost me $14.50 from a Chinese seller on Ebay!!! And if you get one you might as well get it from China anyway. Why let a US seller make money off you when HE gets them from China!!??

Her's a sale for a 200 amp one for less than $90!!! - 200A Four Pole Double Throw Knife Disconnect Switch QC | eBay

Wire it - center legs to the breaker panel

Bottom to the generator

And top to your service meter.

When you lose power all ya' have to do to is fire up the generator.....flip the knife switch and BINGO - power to the whole house!!!!

My next step is to run a set of speaker wires to a Modem power supply (12 volts!) and put a (Inline-switched - like a lamp switch!) 12 VDC pilot light (Oreilly's) in my kitchen, so I can see when the power goes back on so I can run out and kill the generator!!!!

Works great!!

Old 01-14-16, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
It may work great but it's completely against code in that you CANNOT connect equipment to an unfused service. You would need to have a fused disconnect between your meter and that "transfer" switch.

Old 01-15-16, 06:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The linked switch on the eBay listing is clearly not legal to use in the US or Canada, nor is it intended for use anywhere as service equipment.

Old 01-15-16, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mcapella, make sure you consider "starting" amps for larger items when doing your calculations. I found out interestingly enough this week that a Ridgid double hotdog compressor won't start cold with a 5000 watt generator. Some inductive loads will be 3 or 4 times the running load. So I am running the compressor from about 500 feet from the jobsite with hoses stretched across the countryside.