Mystery breakers

Old 01-15-16, 11:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mystery breakers

I've been trying to make and accurate list, with a chart, of which breaker turns off everything in my house. I've found three breakers, all 20 amp, that don't seem to turn off anything. If these were spares, wouldn't they just be an empty spot with a cover?

Right now I have them turned off. When my kids get home from school, I'll challenge them to find something that doesn't turn on.

Old 01-15-16, 11:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sometimes circuits are abandoned and the breaker left in the space. Either that or go buy blank out plates. After you query the kids, you can always pull the panel cover and see if there is wiring going to the breakers in question. Of course that will depend on your comfort level of pulling the cover. Let us know what the kids say.

Old 01-15-16, 02:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Sometimes circuits are abandoned and the breaker left in the space.
I saw that happen when a woman wanted me to reconnect a stove, in an basement apartment. The building dept. had forced her to disconnect it. Had they removed the stove, no one would have known what those breakers controlled.

Rough Rider: Are you going to give your children some multi meters to test outlets?

Old 01-15-16, 02:59 PM
R
Rough Rider: Are you going to give your children some multi meters to test outlets?
LOL No, just a night light.

Old 01-15-16, 03:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
LOL, I'm glad to hear that. I'm all for protecting children.

Old 01-15-16, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Washers, sump pumps, bathroom receptacles, and refrigerators are some suggestions.

Old 01-15-16, 04:24 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Hey! all my lights are off...turn those breakers back on

Other suggestions: Attic lights, powered ventilator in attic, outside receptacles/lighting, garage door opener, garbage disposal, septic pump (if you are on septic and have aerator or lift pump), smoke detectors...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: