Measuring electrical usage

Old 01-16-16, 04:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Measuring electrical usage

I live in a flat above a business and my utilities are all shared with
the business. I need to measure my electricity usage so I can reimburse the business. I do not need to measure the gas. Can I plug in or install
one meter to measure all my usage? Do I need to put a power use meter on each used socket and ad up the numbers on all these socket meters?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-16, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
Where is your circuit panel located and how is power fed to it from the buisness?

You can estimate usage mathematically. Look on the label to find the power consumption of each item and estimate the amount of time it's used each days.

Or, you can do as you suggested and use a plug in power meter. To know quickly you can buy many and put them on everything that uses electricity and then add them together. You'll still have to do an estimate for the hard wired lights though. Or, buy one meter and leave it on one device for a few day and record the results. Then move it to another device and repeat the process untill you've checked everything.

Old 01-16-16, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have my own breaker box in my kitchen under the sink. It has main power switch and four
for sockets lights and washing machine.

Last edited by perambulator; 01-16-16 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 07:29 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Portable power meters such as the Kill-A-Watt are not exactly cheap. I would say that one is enough and you should measure each circuit or group of appliances separately over a period of time.

During the measuring time span, you might plug several items not exceeding 15 amps altogether into a power strip, plug the power strip cord into the meter (and plug the meter into one receptacle).

Old 01-16-16, 08:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like you need an electrician to install a sub meter on the incoming side of your breaker box. Maybe the owner will split the cost with you.

Old 01-16-16, 11:37 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
I would say it is safe to estimate the usage with a portable meter for now and wait for the landlord to open the conversation regarding a permanently installed meter within the building electrical system if he is not satisfied with hand written usage data.

The landlord has to hire the electrician. You may not do any work on the building unless you are licensed and the landlord hires you. Since there is no telling how long you will be using this apartment, you should not be paying a large up front cost to install a submeter.

Old 01-16-16, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
I realize you are outside the US. Not knowing where you are nor the local laws, I will say that in the US, there are rental laws that require a landlord to either pay for the renters' electricity OR have a separately metered panel. There's too much possibility for fraud or mis-estimation for either party otherwise.

Of course your situation may be different... I like the idea of using one kill-a-watt device and estimating from there.

Good luck!