Changing wire on panel

Old 04-10-01, 10:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Doing some work on 60 year old house and recently had a 100AMP box installed. I also noticed that most of the wiring isn't grounded. I've done home wiring before but have one big question. I'm interested in re-wiring a few outlets and switches and I want to run these new wires into the panel. My question is, if I turn off the main breaker on the panel, is it safe to go ahead and change some of the wires or do I need to turn the electricity off at the meter?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-01, 04:50 AM
Visiting Guest
taky;
if you turn off the main, the 2 hots to the main ( service entrance from meter) will still be hot.

Old 04-11-01, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks for your info. I'll get the power shut off first.

Old 04-11-01, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
another quick question, if I turn off the main breaker (100amp), I know that the wire coming in is still hot but I assume that I could still replace a breaker and wire as long as the wire coming in isn't touched. Is this correct?

I'm going to get the power turned off anyway but I'd like to know if the need ever arises.

Old 04-11-01, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most electricians and DIYers change breakers all the time without having the power company shut off the power.

All they do is shut off the main and be careful not to touch the wrong thing when they are working. Yes it's more dangerous than the average DIY project. But all you really need to do is have the knowledge of what is still hot, and then be careful enough not to come in contact with it.

Post back when you're done so we'll know you're still alive.