GFCI Trip

Old 01-17-16, 04:54 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI Trip

Probably a basic question but I'm kind of stumped. Have electrical run to the shed and found the gfci tripped tonight. I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I have 12/2 uf running from breaker panel in house and out to the shed. It runs to an exterior mounted waterproof in-use box with the gfci and then into the shed. Only thing plugged into the shed was a radio. Current temps have been in the 20s and 30s. Would this be an issue inside of the shed or could there be an issue in the line under ground. I'm assuming that if it was in the ground, the breaker would have tripped.

Old 01-17-16, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It really indicates that you have a "ground fault" somewhere. Water/moisture can have an effect on the external receptacle and can trip it, however. You could have a nick on the UF cable causing it to fault. Remember a GFCI does not trip with overload, but with a differential between the hot and neutral. Double check your connections in the receptacle box and at the receptacle box in the garage.

Old 01-17-16, 05:35 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Were you able to reset the GFCI?

Old 01-17-16, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If it's the GFI receptacle on the shed that is tripping then it's not a problem with the wiring from the house to that point. The GFI can only protect itself and whatever is attached to the load terminals.

It is very likely the GFI receptacle has moisture in it causing it to trip. It would be better if you could put the receptacle inside the shed and feed the outside receptacle as a load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: