Chewed up oven power cord: DIY or professional

Old 01-17-16, 09:50 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chewed up oven power cord: DIY or professional

So this week I came to the unfortunate realization that we have a small mouse problem in my house. Taking care of the pest prevention steps, but last night I found that they had partially chewed through the power cord of my gas oven* (luckily I can at least start the range with a lighter, but until I know the cord is fixed the power is completely unplugged so I don't burn my house down).

My question is: Should I have a professional check out and fix the chewed cord, or could I (as a bit of a novice) repair the cord with a bit of electric tape? Only the outer covering of the cord seems chewed, the wires inside seem to be undamaged.

And if it is a job for a professional, should I call an electrician or a large appliance repair shop? Or would both work just as well?

Thanks!

*By "found out" I mean that I was trying to blindly stuff some steel wool into the entry hole and was thrown back a few inches when it made contact with the damaged piece of the cord. Ouch.Name:  IMG_20160116_193252171.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  12.0 KB

Old 01-17-16, 09:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Moved to electrical.

Is this a cord that plugs in? Can you give us a close up picture of the damage.

Old 01-17-16, 09:57 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
And what's the make and model of the oven? May be easy to replace.

Old 01-17-16, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That looks like a standard appliance power cord that would just have a standard right angle plug on it and would plug directly into a receptacle behind the range which I see you are missing.

Usually the back cover of the appliance needs to be removed to replace that power cord. An electrician, an appliance tech or even a handyman could replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: