wiring help with switching to exhaust fan timer switch

Old 01-17-16, 07:21 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring help with switching to exhaust fan timer switch

I'm replacing my bathroom exhaust fan/light combination. Currently the light is operated on one switch, while the fan is operated by a separate toggle switch. I want to replace the fans toggle switch with a timer switch. Need a bit of help. I took off the wall plate and pulled out the wiring as best as I can to get a good look. Here is what I see:

There is a 3 wire and (2) 2 wire's coming into the box. The red wire from the 3 wire goes to the top screw on the light switch. The black wire from the 3 wire goes to the top screw on the fan switch. The bottom screw on each switch has a black wire that is part of a pigtail to the other incoming blacks. All white wires are pigtailed together.

The fan switch I bought has the following wires. A green, red, black, white and a yellow with red stripe. The yellow one has label on it that its only used in a 3 way installation.

Can someone help me hook up this fan switch? I'm not sure if I even need to touch anything on the light switch side or not but either way if someone can help me get everything connected that would be great. thanks

Old 01-17-16, 10:10 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You do not need to touch the light switch.
  • White of timer to group of whites that are connected together.
  • Black of timer to group of blacks that are pigtailed to both switches.
  • Red of timer to black of the 3-conductor cable.

Old 01-17-16, 05:56 PM
W
thank you very much!!! I'll give it a shot!

Old 01-20-16, 10:27 AM
W
ok, having an issue with wiring at the actual exhaust fan/light unit now. I must have something done wrong. This end has 2 plugs. One plug is for the light and it consists of a blue wire, white wire, and green. The other plug is for the fan and has a black and white wire. How do I connect these to the 3 wire coming over from the switch? I must have not found the right combination yet, can someone advise? thanks

Old 01-20-16, 11:33 AM
Whites to white, blacks to black, 3-conductor red to fan blue.

Edit: Rereading I may have confused you a bit. Wait a bit and I'll see if I can draw a diagram. If anything on the diagram doesn't make sense I may have misunderstood what you have so post back.

Name:  Fan_Light_seperate-Switch.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  22.0 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 01-20-16 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 12:15 PM
W
your directions worked perfect! I have the fan installed and working. Thanks very much for taking the time to direct me along. Appreciated

Old 01-22-16, 01:25 PM
Glad we could help. Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: