Can I Oil this motor? From a Patton High Velocity Fan

Old 01-17-16, 02:15 PM
Can I Oil this motor? From a Patton High Velocity Fan

So I found a Patton HVF-18SE(P) U2-1887 from 1990, I think but I am pretty sure it is made in the USA that is why I want to try and save it.

Anyway it spins slowly and the motor looks pretty dry of oil
is there a way to oil this motor? I have found videos of it but my motor looks different then the one in the video

Also what is the best way to clean what I believe is drywall dust off of the blades? I do have the other piece of the cage I took it off to clean as the whole unit was covered in dust but most of it came off with a quick wipe down
Thanks

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  50.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  53.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  44.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  31.2 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  53.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-16, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
I had the same exact fan. I think I bought it at Jamesway. An awesome performer. I had it better than twenty years before someone saw it and liked it better than I did.

I never oiled mine but it did have oil ports on it. I don't see them on yours.
Check out this video.... you tube/watch?v=pyPeUwQZXms

Old 01-17-16, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
It appears there are two similar looking units from Patton. One has the oil ports and the other doesn't. Even without the oil ports you may be able to get some 3in1 oil in there. Don't use WD-40.

Old 01-17-16, 04:06 PM
PJmax that is the same video I saw and was going to post a link but I did not know if posting a Youtube video was allowed
Anyway where does the oil go anyway (On motors in general) I assume the front and back bearings?

I Want to try and oil it but I obviously don't want a oil/electrical fire from putting the oil where it should not be

Edit just saw your second reply
So where should I try to get the oil? I have some 3-in-1 I was not even going to attempt to use WD40

Old 01-17-16, 07:06 PM
It looks to me like the motor has sealed bearings. If the bearings are dry, it's history.

Old 01-20-16, 02:55 PM
OK,
I took the motor apart since I had nothing to loose anyway (Since I found the fan, and I already had the oil) and the motor looks good for being 26 Years old the windings were still shiny copper colored with no discoloration. So I was able to get to the back bearing without any trouble the front one was a little difficult but I oiled both of them and then put the motor back together and it runs perfectly

Old 01-20-16, 06:38 PM
Congratulations, you got lucky.