Few Q's about grounding

Old 01-17-16, 10:01 PM
Few Q's about grounding

Few questions that came from different things I am doing around my house...but both relate to proper grounding techniques:

1. I opened up a wet-location outlet that was installed by the previous owner... it is a metal box but it is NOT grounded. The bare, ground wire simply goes to the receptacle... it is not pigtailed to the metal box..... Is this correct for an outdoor, wet location outlets ?

2. Now we are inside....I am installing recessed lights in my basement...new construction. I will have 3 sets of lights that I want controlled by 3 switches located in a single box. I got the 3 gang metal box and had no issues connecting the black and neutral but scratching my head about the ground since we are talking about 8 individual ground wires: 1 from the main, 1 pigtail for the metal box, 3 pigtails to each of the switches and 3 from the wires going to the lights.
Do I have to buy some super giant cable twister that accommodates 8x12AWG wires or can I do 2 smaller twisters and "bridge" them with an extra pigtail in between (so it would be 5 per twister).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-16, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
The bare, ground wire simply goes to the receptacle... it is not pigtailed to the metal box..... Is this correct for an outdoor, wet location outlets ?
No, the ground must be connected to the box (unless continuous metal conduit was used) and receptacle and it must be GFCI protected.
scratching my head about the ground since we are talking about 8 individual ground wires
Connecting a ground wire to the box but connecting to the switches is optional for a metal box (except when the cover plates are metal). You could also use self grounding switches.
can I do 2 smaller twisters and "bridge"
Yes, or use Ideal push in connectors. http://www.idealind.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=in-sure Being old school I might even use a split bolt connector.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-17-16 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 10:55 PM
Ray beat me to it. Follow his advice.

Old 01-18-16, 05:45 AM
Why are you using 12-2 wire for lighting?
Only need 14-2, far easier to work with.

Old 01-18-16, 04:33 PM
Ray - had no idea that connecting the ground wire to the switch is optional with a plastic cover.....what about outlets...? Is it also optional ?
The switches have the ground screw so I will just do it...I have the large green twisters so since you mentioned that it is OK to bridge them....I will do that.

I will also go back to the outlet which is not grounded and report back....

Old 01-18-16, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
what about [receptacles]...? Is it also optional
NNot unless you use self grounding receptacles. The thing with switches is they are mostly plastic so no easy way to tough metal.

Old 01-18-16, 09:11 PM
ok...thanks. I did grounded that receptacle.... not sure why it was installed w/o grounding the box.... it was a middle of the run...if that matters.

Joe - certainly I wish I could do 14/2 but this is on 20Amp circuit....did the 3 switches and grounded all parts... what a pain with 12/2...

One last question: all the smaller metal boxes have that convex part to screw in the green, ground screw....this 3 gang metal box didn't have it.... I mean I looked at all of them at Lowes and none of the 3 gang boxes had it....just flat back with holes for mounting to the structure. I used one of those holes to screw in a green, grounding screw....