Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Circuit died temporarily--came back on--didn't trip the breaker

Old 01-19-16, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an old 15 amp circuit (2 wire copper) that runs through my kitchen and a few other rooms in my house (built in 1949). It lost power for about ten minutes and came back on by itself and never tripped the breaker. Every receptacle on the circuit lost power. The panel is a 100 amp square d. I recently replaced my copper plumbing with pex and noticed there was a ground wire connected to the kitchen sink stub out under the sink. However, the receptacles in the kitchen were never grounded to begin with. Any thoughts? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-16, 07:05 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you saying that you disconnected the ground & didn't connect it somewhere else? I would connect it first.

Old 01-19-16, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Two separate issues I think. You had something grounded that now isn't. That's a safety concern and should be addressed.

The loss of power is likely not related to grounding, but probably means you have a loose connection somewhere. Since it was all outlets on the circuit, it may be either at the main panel or at the first device in the chain. Could be either hot side or neutral side. Check that the breaker and neutral bar connections in the panel are tight, and then check the devices on the circuit for good connections. If they are back stabbed, change to using side screws.

A bad connection can be serious too because it can cause the connection to heat up, becoming a fire hazard, so best not to ignore.

While you are fussing with the outlets, you install a GFCI to protect the kitchen outlets, especially since they aren't grounded.

Old 01-19-16, 06:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I was thinking of a lost neutral as well but I thought that the ground should be reconnected.

Old 01-20-16, 02:59 PM
Actually, that separate ground that was connected to the copper pipe in the kitchen didn't meet the code requirements at all. If you have a 2 wire system in your home you [can't] just attach a separate ground wire to any old device in the home to make the outlet grounded. You either have to run new cable from the breaker panel or installing GFCI on the circuit to provide the same protection.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-20-16 at 04:03 PM. Reason: can > can't
Old 01-20-16, 04:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or if under newest code you can ground to the nearest correctly grounded circuit.