Miller Kohler engine welder excitation problems

Old 01-20-16, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miller Kohler engine welder excitation problems

I have a Miller/Kohler engine welder.
Cannot get any power or weld from the Miller welder.
Have checked various bits on Welder and found no problems, am wondering if excitation from Engine Magneto is weak.
Engine is K301 series: s/n 3188850 spec no: 47215B I assume it it a magneto ignition and there are no charging circuits visible. No Battery, or electric start - pull cord start. One wire comes out from engine to a small condenser and on to the contact breaker. A further wire takes off from the condenser to the Welder and I assume this is for the excitation current. Engine runs fine, although I think the spark is not very bright. I wonder if magneto output is weak? Does anyone know what the Magneto output should be and how best to check it. It may well need max output to feed excitation for the welder.

I have previously posted this on Outdoor Gasoline & Electric Power Equipment and small engines with no luck to date.
I have found and downloaded the Miller and Kohler Parts Lists and Owners Manuals. So far I am still not solving the problem, any help appreciated.
Thanks, Malcg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-16, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
I have never tried it with a welder but I have flashed generators. Do a online search for "flashing a generator" and numerous methods will come up. Maybe that will be enough to get it working and hopefully it will retain enough magnetism when shut down that you only need to do it once.

Old 01-22-16, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks will check this out