Muller TC 24.21 Timer Wiring Help

Old 01-20-16, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Muller TC 24.21 Timer Wiring Help

A very basic question. I've just bought a digital time switch model TC 24.21 from Muller. According to the back of the timer it takes 230V~50-60Hz, and I'm a bit stuck exactly how and what to connect the timer up to to get it working.

All I'm trying to do at the moment is connect up the timer so the front turns on. I'll worry about the relay wiring once I've gotten that sorted.

Here is a picture of the back.

Name:  MullerTimer1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  21.9 KB

And the front:

Name:  MullerTimer2.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  19.5 KB

I presume I need to connect the L (live?) terminal to the positive terminal of the power source and the N (neutral?) terminal to the negative terminal of the power source, but I'm stuck with what power source to use? I can't safely plug it into mains power?

Datasheet is here: http://www.hugo-mueller.de/download/39_DB_TCx4_en.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-16, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, it operates on mains power, 230 VAC, connected between 2&4.

Your load will connect between 1 and 4 or 3 and 4 depending on whether you want it on while timing or off while timing.

You can connect an external switch between 2 and 5 to duplicate start stop function externally.

Old 01-20-16, 06:39 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Welcome to the best DIY forum on the Internet!

That timer has what are called "dry contacts" for the switching action. The power terminals for the clock function are at the far right.

...I'm stuck with what power source to use? I can't safely plug it into mains power?
Why not? Isn't your "mains" power in New Zealand 240 volts with one side earthed? Assuming it is, (I'm 99% certain it is) you would conned the "neutral" (line side that is also connected to the earth) to terminal 4 and the "hot" line to terminal 5. This will energize the clock function and you can then add a jumper from terminal 5 to terminal 2. The load would connect to terminal 4 and either terminal 1 or 3 depending on the desired action of the timed relay. Or, you can use terminals 1,2 and 3 with a totally separated power supply to serve the load.

Old 01-20-16, 07:03 PM
That timer has what are called "dry contacts" for the switching action. The power terminals for the clock function are at the far right.

...I'm stuck with what power source to use? I can't safely plug it into mains power?

Why not? Isn't your "mains" power in New Zealand 240 volts with one side earthed? Assuming it is, (I'm 99% certain it is) you would conned the "neutral" (line side that is also connected to the earth) to terminal 4 and the "hot" line to terminal 5. This will energize the clock function and you can then add a jumper from terminal 5 to terminal 2. The load would connect to terminal 4 and either terminal 1 or 3 depending on the desired action of the timed relay. Or, you can use terminals 1,2 and 3 with a totally separated power supply to serve the load.
Thanks!

Yeah its 240V and safely earthed. What I'm not sure about is how to make the connection? I was hoping to plug the timer into a wall socket. Can I buy a component that is a plug on one end and splits into a wires to connect to the 'hot' and 'neutral' connections on the other?

Old 01-20-16, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
You can use a regular two conductor power cord like an extension cord and cut the female tap off. An old computer cord is perfect. You won't need the earth connection unless you put that timer in a metal enclosure.

That timer is intended to be mounted in an enclosure so that the contact locations are enclosed and nothing can touch them.

Name:  tap.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  6.4 KB

Old 01-20-16, 07:34 PM
I'm aware I could use extension cord, however this is a project for work, and a prototype that needs to be repeated multiple times, so DIY is a bit of a last resort. Does the only way to use the timer involve cutting up cables? I assumed given its an industrial timer, it would have a more 'proper' way of doing it?

Old 01-20-16, 10:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
Here..... in our home centers.... they actually sell power cords with a male cap on one end and bare wires on the other. I have a barrel of computer power cords that I cut the ends off all the time.

In an industrial situation that timer would be installed in a panel and all the wiring would be concealed behind the panel. A power cord would not be used. The wiring would be routed to the proper locations in the equipment.

Are you building that timer into an existing piece of equipment ?
That would determine your wiring method.

Old 01-21-16, 11:42 AM
Yeah, after some research I've found a similar product in New Zealand that I'll be able to use.

I'm retrofitting the timer onto an already configured bench. The power supply for the bench comes from a wall socket, hence my interest in a component that will link the two.

I was planning to build a chassis around the timer, and then have the cable going into the back so no bare wires will be exposed.

Thanks for your help!

Sam