ground fault won't reset

Old 01-22-16, 06:42 AM
ground fault won't reset

Just recently I had a phone charger plugged into a ground fault outlet in my kitch and noticed the phone blinking on an off..The green light on the outlet also blinking. I pushed the test button, it shut off and will not reset. We have been here 5 years and never had any issues. I already tried replacing it but new one also not working. I also tried disconnecting the load side and still nothing. There are 4 outlets and a garbage disposal protected by it. Any ideas? I have half a kitchen with no power.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-16, 07:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Three things. Faulty GFCI (which you eliminated, hopefully), no power to the receptacle from the breaker panel, or a ground fault. With an analog multimeter you need to test the receptacle to see if there is power coming into it. Unplug everything on that circuit and try resetting it. Let us know what you have done.

Old 01-22-16, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Echo Larry.
You need to check the line cable, 120V between hot and neutral and 120V between hot to ground.
Turn off power and check for continuity, there should be no continuity between the hot wire and ground.

Old 01-22-16, 12:54 PM
Im going to test it when I get home. Have you seen one act like that before? Blinking on and off?

Old 01-22-16, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
The lights are are recent additions to GFCI and what they mean can vary with manufacturer so it is hard to say. Probably wouldn't blink though if you had no power (what would light the light) but checking for power and verifying both the black and white of the cable with power is connected to the line side.